49

[Inspired by Psychiatrist Guy Winch]

2 Months later

The orange hue of the fire was soothing the pale blue fingers; that has been exposed to the cruelty of the winter. The white marbled wall was the support of that hunched back. His eyes were closed, like the cloak of the darkness in the empty hallway.

"You should rest now."

a gentle voice resonated in attempt to pacify. It was the only voice aside from the sound of machines that were beeping close by.

"Jiejie..." His voice was hoarse, dry like the crushed stone.

"Why are you still here? It's not good for the baby."

His oracles were still shut, refusing to see the 2 months pregnant women. But the bearer of new life had other plans. She sat right next to him and placed her equally cold hands over his.

"A-Xian, I won't leave without you."

He finally opened his eyes. And the tired orbs glanced at the door in front. It was the immediate light, right after the veil of murk. His eyes lingered on for a while, reading the name over and over again, wishing to erase it.

But the voices don't reach the deaf ears.

After a moment or so, he tore away his gaze from the silent door and looked at the small, fragile hand on top of his. He breathed,

"I won't leave without him."

And the hours ticked away another cold night.

. . .

The day brought another hope, another aspiration to look for good in the shadow of the clouds. To search for the light that doesn't exist.

Xiao Zhan entered the same mute room, the colorless pigments that carried only weight. But the contradiction could not be reconciled, as it was the only place where he could smile the most.

"Happy Anniversary." Xiao Zhan greeted, bringing forth the white, yellow and red rose. He placed it in a glass next to the 3 sets of similar colored roses that were tied by the two necklaces and preserved in the resin.

The white, yellow and red created a spring of love which Wang Yue left behind for them to bloom.

Xiao Zhan sat down to the chair next to his beloved and held the pale cold hands.

"Just for today, wear this." He slid the ring, into the ring finger which matched the one he owned. The intricate stones gleamed against those fair fingers, shining like the fireflies in the night.

Beep

Beep

Beep

Those ringing sound reminded him of the reality he was in now. The sea of life, rode a high tide, too high till they collapsed and washed away from the shore.

The memories from two months ago felt so distant that he didn't desire to recall them, but it kept coming back, like the poles of magnet that know how to attract. If the grains of sand hadn't vanished yet, he recalled they just visited Wang Yue's grave and were headed to the Wei Mansion.

Xiao Zhan was excited, thrilled to show his fiancé the place he grew up in. But their visit was nothing how he foresaw. The screams are still fresh in his ears when he stepped on the porch to surprise his family.