50

[This chapter is dedicated to one of my lovely readers. Her life had not given her any break, but she still keeps moving forward, small steps at a time, persistently. She has inspired me time and time again. And to all of you, who are scared yet so brave to live on. Thank You!]

What are the premises of the lies? What is the boundary of truth? And what comes when neither the truth rescues nor the lie kills?

"Yibo is in critical condition –he needs surgery."

The fog must be thick outside, that might be why, Liu Huai Kuan felt cold sensation of shackles being tied to his entire body. Or maybe it was too hot, that must be why he felt being dipped into the hot lava in the mountains. Or maybe he just heard him wrong, there's no way Wang Yibo would be hanging on the line of life and death – Xiao Zhan promised to protect him!

Then why? Why Xiao Zhan was sitting in front of him, telling him the news with unreadable emotions.

"W-what do you mean?" Liu Huai Kuan gulped down his rising fear. Be calm. Be rational. He reminded himself.

I am finally doing it. I am killing Yibo now. Just like how I killed everyone else.

If it were Xiao Zhan of the past, those would be the exact words that he might say. That was the Xiao Zhan without Wang Yibo. That was the Xiao Zhan without Wang Yue. But now he was neither alone nor weak.

Death is certain so, don't blame yourself for the cause, don't burden your soul with uncommitted sins.

When there was no response from the unmoving person at front, the former psychiatrist could only ask for the world beyond the bars.

"H-how?"

Xiao Zhan looked up and recognized those eyes. The eyes that were afraid. The eyes that masked a fragile heart. He knew, he had no control over life and death, and precisely because he knew, he learnt to not take anything for granted.

If we live each day counting it as our last, would we be less cruel to the world around us?

[Flashback]

Unique skyline between the Yangtze and Jialing rivers. It's the home of both tradition and advancement as it's even concealed in the name 'Double Celebration'.

There were two reasons why Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan were still in Chonqing.

The first one the was the outburst of protests that had just ceased the previous day. It made it hard for the couple to catch a flight. And the second was that Xiao Zhan had caught a fever.

"Zhan-ge, drink this." Wang Yibo brought a warm glass of milk for his beloved. He had previously taken his temperature and thankfully, his fever had died down a lot.

The maze of thoughts were map-less without a way out. But just because the path was blocked, didn't mean it was the dead end.

"She said she hates me. XuanXuan hates me now." Xiao Zhan said. He took the glass of warm milk; it provided good warmth for the coming winter. "Do I have to accept her blame?"

When the blood is tested, it shrivels and dries but when the love is tested, it grows till the sky.

"It is your choice Zhan-ge. Neither me nor she can make you feel something you don't want to." Wang Yibo relayed gently.

Being victims doesn't mean we aren't assailant. Our ignorant selves, had said many thoughtless words, that might appear nothing to us but to some of us; they could mark a stamp on their entire existence.