42

The world was changing - too fast for the little peony to grasp. He had his lucky socks with him all the time. He prayed for all the miracles to happen but each day brought another thunder in his four little walls.

He was happy when his mother asked him if he wanted to study in Jiujiang with his friends Cao Jun Xiang and Guo Cheng. Of course, Pei Xin was beyond thrilled. But that excitement was killed when his mother informed him that his cousin - Liu Yin Jun - would also be joining him. In Lanzhou, he didn't have any friends precisely because of Liu Yin Jun. So, Pei Xin didn't want Liu Yin Jun to study in the same place as his friends. He grew afraid of losing.

The next downpour was when his grandfather - Shen Xiao Hai - lost a big deal. Qi Pei Xin was being trained to be a businessman and his grandfather would take time especially for him to learn few business tactics. Afterall, he was going to be the next heir of famous Jin corps.

But what heir would he be if there wasn't any company left?

The hailstorm hit him when his grandfather, uncle and father got arrested for things he didn't understand. He tried to make sense of the situation but his mother only assured him, saying to have faith.

The faith is all that is left when the roads are darkened.

But the biggest uproar was when he learnt that his uncle Zhan had been sick. He didn't know that. He couldn't know that. It brought the biggest calamity over the Jiang household when they learnt what he did.

Silence is the cut-throat of misery.

Now all he could do was pray to the God in the empty sky.

. . .

The hasty steps didn't mind the crowd when he bumped into swarm many times. His heart had the same beat as his feet, too nimble to give it a rest. He reached the Beijing hospital the moment he got the news.

We are free now...

The real freedom is an escape from fear. But all he was, caged behind the bars of fright.

"Kuan-gege!" He shouted when he spotted the voice behind his last phone call. The owner of that name turned around, visibly surprised to see him there.

"Da-Cheng." He called back but before he could inquire much, he was engulfed into a tight hug.

"How?" He asked with his trembling voice. "How did he die?" He continued but instead of a reply he got soft pat on his back. The elder let his lover calm down in his soothing embrace. He knew the tears he (jc) shed were for himself (lhk).

"When police reached there, he had already stopped breathing." Liu Huai Kuan stated as calmly as his heart allowed.

"Was it your -"

"No. Father was the greatest leash he had on us. Uncle wouldn't kill him just like that. We are waiting for autopsy results."

He wished to be a father one last time.

"I'm sorry." Zhuocheng said. The two were standing in the hallway of a crowded hospital but the sands of hourglass had run out.

"No. I am sorry..."

Liu Huai Kuan planted a soft kiss on his forehead and added, "The Chief Civil court has transferred the case to the Civil Crime court judge...I'd be going Cheng."

The trial without a jury was going to be held.

Zhuocheng only tightened his hold and securing him with all of his might.

There were times when they lost sight of what was day and night. There were times when they were prone to danger. They never succumbed to unruly ways but far too many times they had to lower their prides to gain what they had now. And finally, all could come to an end.