CHAPTER 12

Harold walked up to the wolf that was Benji and rested his hand upon his dark fur. It was soft, silky.

"You're all hungry, aren't you?" He asked with an indescribable tone lacing his voice.

In response to his question all the wolves growled in response. Smiling dangerously he lifted his head in the direction of where the lights were, leading to the kingdom.

"Go! Feed my children, Feed!!" Harold's voice boomed and all the werewolves surrounding raised their heads to the full moon above and howled loudly before putting their heads to the ground and sniffed the grass as if they were following a trail and then they all took off leaving Harold in the forest. He knew what they were about to do and he wanted the king frightened. He wanted a message sent! He wanted the king to know that he was no longer in control.

The werewolves roamed the outer parts of the kingdom, killing everyone in sight. The innocent women and children were slaughtered and beaten. Though Harold sat amongst the trees in the forest, their cries were so loud and agonizing that he heard it all. It brought joy to his dark heart. Their screams for help of every victim echoed through the solemn night until the sun was risen.

************************************

The following day news had already travelled to the king about what had happened and he was in an emergency meeting with his court that consisted of his council and household.

"My Lord, what are we to do?" Asked a member of his council.

"Yes my king, what are we going to set in place?" Asked one of his barons.

"They killed over 50 innocent men, women and children. I mean, not even eat them which is strange because all marks on the skin had proved to be caused by an animal. Though, what's even more scary is that the claw marks are unlike anything I've ever seen. They are all large and those were the very claws to rip the bodies open. All organs were smashed in the bodies but nothing else. None of them were eaten," said the pathologist.

John's heart sank. His very own people were being killed by something of the unknown.

"Gather Everyone in front of the castle now! I will talk to them," he exasperated to everyone in the room. "Now!" He yelled and everyone scurried out of the room.

He did not care for his attire. He ignored the crown that sat upon his table and the robe that rested on his throne. He walked out onto the........and was surprised to see the large crowd that was already gathered in front of his castle. Beside the king were his soldiers. Armed and ready to protect him from any threat.

He rose his right hand, silencing everyone. And then his voice boomed in the air with authority.

"Greetings to all of you! I am deeply sorry for what has happened, but I assure you! I will not rest until I find out who these creatures are and we Will kill them all! I want everyone to stay on guard! I Will have a soldier at each door of each villagers' house here! Make sure everyone right here is secure and stocked up on food. We do not know how long this will last. I will find out what these creatures are! I promise you... I will be the true leader that I am supposed to be," He said with fury within his dark orbs. He Will not back down. He will never be a weak king. He will protect his kingdom.

The crowd erupted in cheers as he departed and went back into the castle.

"Have traps set all around the kingdom. They will not get in without us knowing! Go now!" He ordered some of his soldiers and they obeyed. Gathering the most dangerous tools the headed to the outskirts to commence.

When night fell, the soldiers were returning to the castle.

"Have anyone of you seen anything?" King John asked the minute he saw them.

"No my Lord, we set everything up but nothing came...," responded one of his strongest soldiers, Ethan.

John pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration and sighed out loudly.

"We will wait and we will stay on guard. Are soldiers guarding the houses of our people?" John asked.

"Yes my king. Everyone is on guard and secured. Food is also stocked up," Ethan answered.

Where was Harold?! His commander... he prayed that he was not a victim to these dangerous creatures......

The king did not sleep that night. He stayed up waiting. Waiting and praying. Hoping that he will not hear the screams of his subject. Not tonight and not ever.

--------

Word Count: 795