CHAPTER 22

The ball was a success and people turned out in their numbers. It was the perfect opportunity for the king to make new friends in order to build new bonds and friendships to better protect his people and the ball also showed him who his enemies were just by their attitude.

It was time for the dance of the ball and everyone moved aside to give way for the royal women to waltz into the ballroom. This was where the selection for the East kingdom's new queen would commence.

One after the other the females came to the dance floor to have a dance with the king and one by one they went, John was having a difficult time deciding on who to choose since all their faces were covered. He wanted to see raw emotions.

Stupid Mask ball idea.

John still had to choose a bride tonight. He was about to leave the room when suddenly a soft pink dress came into his line of sight. His eyes travelled up the body of the woman and saw that the dress flowed from her waist down, but clung to her upper body. His eyes danced over her exposed cleavage and his dress pants felt nothing but a little bit tighter. He assumed this to be one of the many princesses at the ball. The closer she got the more details he inspected. Her hair flowed her back in luscious silky, charcoal colour curls and a small tiara rested on her head. She walked gracefully up towards him, her white mask covered most of her face but he didn't miss the glint in her hazel eyes.

She smiled displaying her straight pearly teeth. Taking her hands into his, he raised it to his lips and kissed her knuckles lightly.

Her skin was soft and he suddenly had the urge to feel every inch of it and then his heart tugged.

She was the one.. He was sure of it.

He had made his decision. She was going to be his bride, his new queen. He clutched her hand into his large palm and walked to where the crowd was.

"I have chosen!" He announced and though some faces of princesses and their fathers were of disapproval they applaud.

"Now...," he tone was gentle as he turned to face the mysterious beauty that captured his heart. "I would like to see your family, my dear." She is stiff. Her hands were suddenly cold and clammy. Her reaction made his brow furrow as confusion laced his features.

"May I see the family of...," the room was penetratingly silent.

He had not taken her name. Embarrassment surged through him as he realised this. She began stuttering before finally.

"Hanna, my king. Hanna.." She whispered and casted her eyes down.

After making his choice he called for the family of the female he had selected but no one came forward and he asked her to remove her mask and it was hanna...

shocked and confused he asked her why would she do something like that and she confessed her love for him ...

Upon realizing that the female that was selected wasn't of royal blood the other Kingdoms felt betrayed and accused the king of lying to them and tricking them and they rebelled against him.

"You made us all come all the way here just so you could choose a commoner?!"

"Yes how dare he?"

"You will pay! We will not be your allies!"

They were furious. All of them.

"Hold on!! I'm sure there was a misunderstanding here!! Surely the king had no idea that this-'' the council leader motioned to Hanna "-Was what she was planning to do. Now isn't that right my king?"