CHAPTER 1

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It had been a long day's work on the market today. Tim and his father Patrick were now walking home with wariness in their eyes and cut covered hands but the everyday routine made them accustomed to the burning sensations within their palms. Tim's body was drenched in sweat and his small, torn and tattered clothes did little to shield his skin from the intense glare of the sun.

"Dad", Tim called. His voice hoarse and sore from the constant shouting he did when they were working.

Patrick looked at his son with lifted eyebrows as if silently asking him to ask whatever it is he wanted to and they continued their journey home slowly.

"Dad, when do you think this'll all get easier for us?", Tim's voice cracked and he looked away from his father, eyebrows knitted together with eyes steady ahead.

John abruptly stopped and analyzed his son.

"Tim my boy, do not stress and do not be upset. We are who we are and we must do whatever we must to survive. I know this is hard and taking a toll on you, but let me tell you something your grandfather use to always tell me. We are knives, we are strong and we are steady. We could burst through the lives of many, but we are in our process of making. When beneath intense heat we can bend and we can melt, but when we are carved and designed and ready. We'll be the greatest swords in the stones. You see my son, what I'm trying to say is, good things come to those who wait. We are in our process of making, there is going to be blood, tears and sweat before our greatness comes."

Tim looked at his father with comprehension and smiled before out stretching his fist in asking of a fist bump. Chuckling, his father returned the gesture and they continued slowly down the path to home where the women of their family were.

Upon passing through the gates, both Tim and His father, Patrick, swirled around from the sound of horse hoof kicking the dirt as three Brown horses with armored soldiers came towards them.

"What are you two doing?!", The Soldier in the middle demanded coming swiftly off of his horse. John rested his hand upon his son's shoulder as a sign of reassurance and calmly responded to the soldier.

"Me and my Son just came from the market sir, we are on our way home from work." The Soldier demanded the presence of his two other accomplices and their stance proud and steady, looking down upon Tim and Patrick. The aura that radiated from the soldier in the middle made John Realise his status. He was the commander. With respect John casted his eyes downwards on their polished shoes and Tim followed.

The commander scoffed and folded his arms stiffly. "Search them!"

"Wha-- but we", Tim's defiance made his father's eyes grow hard.

"Son, it doesn't matter! Just stand still", Patrick's voice was gruff and immediately Tim complied with his father.

They searched both men, but found nothing illicit. A soldier patted young Tim's side pocket and withdrew their daily earnings.

"We worked for that, sir. It is all that we have.'' spoke quietly but the commander didn't care; he took the money from the soldier and...

Adrenaline fiercely rushed through Patrick's blood and he growled at Tim.

"Run and hide", his body trembled with anger as he tried his hardest to contain himself.

"But Dad I--"

"I SAID...I said go. Now son".

He didn't move to see his son run off behind the trees but he knew. He slowly, menacingly stalked towards the retreating soldiers and without a hint of hesitation, snatched the commander by his neck and threw him to the ground. Swiftly wrapping his legs stiffly around the commander so that he was unable to move. The soldiers who were now armed looked just as astound as the commander who had his entire body seized in the hands of a common man. Patrick tightened his hands around the commanders neck from behind and quietly pleaded.

"I am no killer, commander. I am a common man in need of what you just stole from me. Please it is all that we have", Patrick's voice broke. You see he was never a violent man. He only Preached and acted in peace. Nothing but goodness but no matter what he said and whatever it was that he righteously believed in. Violence and Evil always left demise upon the innocent.

Weizing with desperation to be free, the commander slammed his fist into the dirt.

"Let me go! Let me go!!", he bellowed in anger.

"Sir please, it's my earnings...", Patrick tried to reason while locking the commander into a death grip. His face grew redder and the soldiers grew concerned for their commander and now ready to pounce on Patrick. Patrick noticed their intentions and cruelly said.

"Attack Me, and I snap his neck!! You are unreasonable men!! How DARE YOU STEAL FROM THE ONES WHO HELPED BUILT THIS KINGDOM?!?! WE ARE JUST LIKE YOU ALL. WE ARE PEOPLE... you're supposed to protect us, not steal and kill us....", Patrick was fuming and the commander slammed his fist down once more. Harder this time.

"Alright! I'll give you back your money!! Let me go........". The commander motioned to one of the soldiers to give Patrick his money and they threw it quickly to his side.

Reluctantly Patrick released him and the commander scurried to his feet and tried desperately to regain his breathing one of the soldiers ran to his side and tried patting his back to assist but the commander angrily swiped his hands away and with a crazed, psychotic look within his eyes he glared at Patrick.

"You have not seen the last of me you SCUM!! I Will come back and I will find you... I will kill you and everyone you know and love. Remember this old man..."

---------
Word Count: 1004