Chapter 44: Eating Our Vegetables

Chapter 44

Eating Our Vegetables

My mom opened the door as I walked down the stairs. Titus gave her a smile, before frowning at me.

“Knock it off,” I exclaimed. “It’s not that bad.”

“Your face is swollen,” he muttered.

“Like a chipmunk.” She grabbed his hand and put the ice pack, she was holding, in it.

“Mom,” I hissed. “Why do you have to be so embarrassing?” I turned sharply and marched back to my room.

I flopped down on my bed. Titus entered soon after. He sat down at my side and brushed my hair out of the way, so he could put the ice on my cheek.

“Did you get in trouble?” I whispered.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead, before going to close the door. My mother was waiting.

“I can trust you not to be doing anything indecent up here?” She tapped her foot.

“You have my word, Mrs. Perri.” He glanced back at me with a smirk. “We’re just going to cuddle for a while.”

My mouth fell open. “Titus! Oh my god.” I covered my face. “Why are you two so annoying?”

My mother was soaking it all in, with a dreamy look on her face. She gave Titus’s arm a squeeze, before turning to leave. “I’ll knock, before entering, just in case.”

“Please just shut the door,” I groaned.

He did so and walked back over. Climbing into the bed, he laid down at my side.

“So?”

He pulled me to his chest and fixed the ice pack. “We’re waiting to see. I didn’t do anything wrong. I have a right to protect you.”

“Because of this?” My hand slipped to my scar.

Titus nodded. “It’s part of our agreement with the humans.”

“Am I in trouble?” I whispered.

He shifted his weight and leaned his head, so it touched the top of mine. “Be glad you’re not a werewolf yet.” He rubbed my arm. “Never been so close to hitting my dad then last night.”

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “That bad.”

“If we weren’t engaged, it would have been,” he whispered.

“This mark kind of saved me, then,” I laughed hesitantly.

My forced attempted at lightening the mood failed. Titus only nodded, continued to run his hand up and down my arm.

“I’m protective of you, Aden. It’s my nature. You will never understand what leaving a mark on someone feels like.” Moving on top of me, he pressed his forehead against mine. “When your dad took you away, I never felt so depressed. I thought something was wrong with me. I’d broken up with people, before but it had never hurt like this.” He took in a deep breath and rolled to his back. “The older dominants said it only gets worse once the mark is permanent. It just the wolf coming out of us.”

I peeked up at him to see he was gazing up at the ceiling with an emotionless expression.

“I see you as my mate,” he said softly. “Whether you want to be or not, to me you already are.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. “I didn’t mean to cause problems.” Sighing in frustration, I covered my face. “I’m so stupid sometimes.”