Chapter 30: The Note

Chapter 30

The Note

"No internet, no cell phone." My dad grabbed my laptop from the desk. "You're not allow to leave this house without permission. Am I understood?" He held out his hand.

"Yes Sir." I pulled my phone out of my pocket and gave it to him.

"And this," he walked over to the window. "remains closed. I catch you open this window for anyone, and I'll nail it shut." He marched from the room and slammed the door behind him.

I flopped down on my bed. Over nine months apart, I couldn't wait that along. I'd be lucky to make it through a week.

There was a knock on the door.

My mother poked her head inside. "Aden?"

I sat up and forced a smile.

She hurried over and hugged me. "Don't ever do that to me again. I was so worried about you."

"Sorry," I whispered. I met her gaze. "I love him, mom." Laying my head on her shoulder, I blink back the burning in my eyes. "And now dad's never going to let me see him again."

She held me tightly. "I'm going to talk to your father. He's being ridiculous." She lifted my chin. "But you are grounded for the next couple weeks. Running off like that, Aden. I know breaking up with Titus was difficult, but there are other ways to go about fixing things."

I nodded. "I didn't think he'd talk to me unless I went to him." I hid my face. "Now I messed everything up. It worse than before."

"Oh, Aden." She rocked me and kissed my cheek. Her hand landed on my shoulder, and she pulled over my shirt. "Aden, sweetheart what happened?"

I clasped the mark. "It-it's nothing."

She tried to move my hand. "It looks like something bit you, Aden."

Turning away from her, I pulled my shirt over. "Titus h-had a dog. It wasn't used to strangers."

"Oh my god, Aden. Not again." My mother cupped my cheek. "Please try and be more careful."

Bowing my head, I rubbed the mark. "I will."

She stood and kissed the top of my head. "Get some sleep. In a couple days, your father will calm down, and we'll talk with him. You'll see Titus again. Don't worry."

I nodded. "Night mom," I said softly as she left the room.

"Good night, Aden." She closed the door.

I fell on my side. The bed felt empty. "God." I rubbed my face. This was going to be hard.

***

I pushed my food around my plate as my parents discussed their usual mundane days. At the beginning of the summer, I would have been happy about having to sit in my room all day. Now it just felt like torture.

"Aden, eat your dinner," said my mother, pointing her fork at me. She went back to discussing the recent book club drama with my father.

I pushed everything to the center and piled my mash potatoes on top of it.

"Do you want to go school shopping this weekend?"

"Hmmm...." I glanced at my mother. "What?"

"School starts in a week, Aden."

I shrugged. "Sure."

Pursing her lips, she glanced at my father.

"As soon as school starts you can have your phone and laptop back," he said.

"I'm I still on lockdown?" I muttered, patting some peas into the potatoes.

"Aden," said my father sternly. "This we'll end now. I'm tired of the attitude. You do this to yourself, so accept the consequences for your actions."

He had no right to say that to me. The arrangement was decided for me. I didn't have a say in it. I glared at him, before slamming my fork down and left the table.

"Aden Perri, sit back down now."

I marched past him and hurried up the stairs. I made sure to slam my door hard, before sitting on my bed. It was only a matter of time before my dad came storming up the stairs to give me a lecture.

Scooting up against my headboard, I pulled my knees to my chest.

My parents were arguing downstairs. The voices grew louder, before the front door slammed.

Chewing on my lip, I tugged at my hair. "Damn it," I whispered. Pulling my knees to my chest, I laid my head on them.

A rustling came from the window.

"Titus?" I slowly stood and tiptoed over to it. "Titus." I opened it, but no one was there. Dropping to my knees, I rested my head on the windowsill. Why couldn't he have been there?

Something was flapping outside. I poked my head outside and spotted a piece of paper shoved between the window frame and siding. I grabbed it and sat on the floor. Unfolding it, I smiled at the name written at the bottom. Titus was written in letters slightly better than a scribble.

I read the rest,

Good luck at school.

9 months until you graduate. It's not too far away.  

I miss you,

Titus

It was simple, but it made me smile. I folded it back and went to my closet. Grabbing the box on the top shelf, I pulled it down. Inside were my wooden figurines. I tucked the letter beside them. After sliding the box away, I went to my desk and grabbed a piece of paper. I wrote a quick note and signed my name.

I love you.

Aden

I tucked it where I had found Titus's letter and closed the window. I felt like a giddy little kid, but it was exciting to hear from him. He still loved me. I climbed into bed with that light feeling still filling my chest. I'd make it through this year, and then we can be together as mates.