Chapter 60: It's Just Pretend

Chapter 60

It's Just Pretend

Someone knocked lightly on the door. I didn't answer, having already heard Titus arrive with what sounded like his father and Darius.

My boyfriend poked his head inside. "Aden?" With a sigh, he entered and closed the door. "I'm kind of tired of people beating up your face. I'm quite partial to it."

I didn't respond.

Titus walked over and sat on the bed. "Your mom filled us in about what happened."

I nodded.

"Chris, huh," he pressed his lips into a thin line. "Hate to say it's not hard to believe it was him."

Sucking in my cheek, I turned my head toward the wall.

"Aden," he groaned, tipping over so his head was on my shoulder. "I know you're upset, but talk to me please. I'm trying here."

I kept my jaw firmly shut. My emotions had been a mess today, and I was not risking embarrassing myself in front of him. Titus sighed and grabbed my hand.

He twisted my ring around. "You must have hit him hard."

Raising an eyebrow, I peeked over at him. "What?"

Titus smiled. "There's blood on it."

My face contorted in disgust. I yanked the thing off and climbed off the bed. Marching out of the room, I went to the bathroom. Titus was close behind me, laughing the whole way. I turned on the water and squirted soap all over my ring. I scrubbed it more than needed.

"So," Titus folded his arms. "How hard did you hit him?"

I rolled my eyes and turned off the water. "I split his lip, and he repaid me with a bloody nose." Grabbing a hand towel, I tried it off. "I did get in a crotch shot, though."

Titus cringed. "I'm never going to get you mad."

I shrugged. "We can only hope it'll keep him from reproducing." I went back to my room and flopped down on the bed.

Sitting down by my head, Titus played with my hair. "Are you feeling better?"

"No." I wrapped my arms around my face. "A psychotic maniac is trying to kill you, and it's my fault."

"No, it's not," sighed Titus. "I hit him. Hell, I'm the one that could control myself and let him see me as a werewolf."

"Because of me," I muttered. "I too pathetic to stand up for myself, so you had to do it for me."

"Aden, sorry to tell you, but you're not a big guy. Chris has an advantage."

I glared at him and rolled over so I was facing the wall. "I know. That's why I keep getting my ass kicked," I muttered. "If I hadn't been the one to start it, I'd be the only one going home with a messed up face."

Titus turned my chin. I fell onto my back and closed my eyes as he leaned down to kiss me.

"I'll still love you." He kissed me again. "Even if you're deformed."

I shoved him away. "Thanks a lot."

Titus laughed and patted the mattress next to him as he relaxed in the corner. I sat up and crawled over to him. Leaning against his side, I placed his arm around my shoulders.

"Titus?"

"Hmmm..." He peered down at me.

I grabbed his wrist and put the ring in his hand.

He looked confused and slightly hurt. "Why are you giving me this?"

Sitting up, I kept my eyes pointed down. "If he thinks we broke up, then he might stop."

"You're calling it off," he exclaimed. "I told you Aden we're taking care of it. We'll keep an eye on Chris he'll never have a chance to hurt me or even you again."

I shook my head. "No. I've decided, and I'm not risking it. I can't risk it." I clasped my mouth.

"How can you do this, Aden?" He slammed his fist against the wall. "You're my mate."

"Titus," I breathed.

"Forget technicalities, to me, we're already mates, so you just can't ask me to agree to this. I won't agree to this." He climbed off the bed and marched from the room.

"Titus," I called, hurrying after him. "Titus, wait. Let me explain."

The front door slammed shut. I sat down on the stairs and rested my head against the railing.

My parents, Darius and Xavier gathered in the entryway.

"Aden what happened." My mother hurried up the stairs. "What's wrong with Titus?"

"I gave him back the ring."

Her mouth fell open. "So?"

"I want Chris to think we broke up," I exclaimed. "I don't actually want to. I just want to pretend." Bowing my head, I pressed my pawns against my eyes. "As soon as I graduate and Chris is gone, then we can be together."

My mother rubbed my back.

"I'll go talk to him," said Darius. The door opened and closed soon after.

I looked out and let out a deep breath. "Is it not a good idea?"

She patted my arm. "We don't have proof that it is Chris, but if it is, then I'd say we don't have very many other options." She helped me to my feet and led me to the living room. Yelling came from outside.

I glanced at the alpha. "What do you want me to do?"

Xavier shrugged. "We've never dealt with humans hunting us. I can't very well kill Chris, especially because we have nothing to prove it." He ran his hands down his face. "We searched the woods, Aden. No scent, or even a reason why the car tire was shredded. Just some footprints and broken branches, but nothing we could can use. Whoever did this at least knows the basics about covering their tracks."

Pushing back my hair, I stared at the window at the two figures outside. "I don't know if Chris is capable of that or not."

Darius and Titus came back in the house. He was mad and stood with his arms folded.

"I think this is the best option. If it Chris, it might be enough to deter him from trying anything else, and if it's a rogue, Aden won't become a target," said Darius.

Xavier nodded. "We'll make sure that it's still clear that your family is under the protection of Northern Ridge."

My father nodded and put his arm around his wife's waist. "We appreciate that."

Darius gripped his brother's shoulder. "Just until Aden graduate, alright?"

"Fine." He marched over and grabbed my wrist. Yanking my hand forward, he slapped the ring into my palm. "You're keeping it." He turned and marched from the room.

The front door slammed shut. I sunk into the couch and rolled the ring around in my hand. One more semester, just one more, than I'll graduate and can finally leave the human world behind.