Chapter 47: Dinner with the Enemy

Chapter 47

Dinner with the Enemy

My mother beamed at me as she read my first trimester report card. I sat on the kitchen stool, feeling pretty giddy myself. I passed. I passed everything, including math with solid B’s. It might have been with an 81, but it still was a B.

“I’m proud of you.” She pressed the piece of paper to her chest.

“Thanks.”

“Comrade even mentioned you’re getting the new material quicker than usual.”

“I’m getting there, slowly,” I said with a sigh.

“Well, we are celebrating.” She grabbed her purse and drug around. Taking out her cell, she dialed a number. “We’re going out tonight.”

“Awesome,” I sang, jumping off the stool and going to the stairs.

“Call Titus and invite him.”

I stopped and gripped the handrail. “What?” I turned.

“Call Titus.” She waved her hand at me. “Hello honey.”

I sat down on the step as I heard my father’s deep voice.

“Aden passed all his classes. Even manage a couple A’s.” She nodded. “Yes, I want to take him out to celebrate.” She smiled. “Alright, hurry home so we can leave before seven. Oh, and Titus’s is coming as well. I love you, bye.” She ended it with my father still struggling to come up with an argument.

“Mom,” I breathed. “If dad doesn’t want Titus to come, he doesn’t have to.”

“Do you want him to come?” She folded her arms.

I licked my lips and nodded. “Yes, but not if they’re just going to fight the whole time.”

“I’ll handle your father, Aden. Run upstairs and give Titus a call.”

“‘kay.” I hurried up the stairs to my room. Grabbing my cell phone, I pressed on Titus’s name. He didn’t answer. I waited a few minutes and tried again.

“Hello?”

I froze. “Um… this is Aden. Is Titus there?”

“He’s finishing up his chores,” said the alpha. “You can talk to him later tonight.”

“Wait,” I said quickly, before he hung up.

“Yes?”

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “I-I wanted to know if he could come to dinner.”

“Not tonight,” said the alpha.

“We’re going to out. I passed my classes in school, and we’re celebrating,” I said softly. “My mom wants him to come.”

The alpha sighed. “I’ll have her calling me next, if I say no then?”

“Probably, sir.”

“Fine, what time?” he muttered.

“She wants to leave before seven.”

“I’ll let him know.”

The line went dead. I smiled. My mom really was amazing. She even had the alpha conquered, and she didn’t even know it.

***