Chapter 1: Erether

PRESENT, THE YEAR 2149

I squinted my eyes to shield myself from the blazing sun on the horizon as I stepped out of the house where I just had finished doing my mission of the day. I folded the paper on my hands in four and slipped it inside a small pocket on my tight pants. After getting so little information from this region, I almost gave up and continued to do my research on the next region but I had a feeling inside me that something important was gonna happen today and I ought to find out what is it.

I worked alone today out of all the days the region could not get any busier. Some of my brothers were in the other regions while I remained here after staying here a week ago. As per my observation, Monday is the busiest day of the week here in Region 9 since Eretherian soldiers usually roam around the area to buy random, sometimes useless stuff or do business with other merchants.

Region 9 is said to be one of the regions that are rich in products made with metals, like house equipment, or weapons like swords and daggers. Well, that is why Erether's officers and councilors usually go to these regions, to strike deals with them or pay them to make weapons they cannot make. Blacksmiths or forgers as they were usually called are common people who live in regions 1 to 10.

I approached one stall and checked all of his items. A medallion caught my eye and I immediately picked it up.

"People love buying that stuff, especially mages." said the merchant.

"Mages?" I raised a brow. "Do they come here often?"

"Most of the mages do. Those action-packed hero likes to buy weapons in these regions and then some of them buy that kind of thing."

I stared back at the medallion. It's a simple medallion. It's made with metal, probably chrocite, since it was easy enough to bend the material and would easily be crushed by a single bullet. There is a symbol carved in it. On the other side was a flame symbol, and on the other side was a symbol of snow.

"What's with the symbol?" I asked.

"Heard about the consecutive wins of the Glaze siblings? That medallion was made when the family won the cup of the yearly tournament of mages for two years."

Glaze siblings. They all came from one of the families who was gifted with magic after the war and the power was passed down from generation to generation. But there are only several of them now; most of them are already old and some members of the family are science-generated mages from an experiment they called 'The Reproduction'.

The Reproduction as they call it is a program that started in the year 2120 in which mages, men, and women with magic were forced to produce children to create another being with magic. While some didn't develop their magic, some had successfully mutated into becoming a mage. I know a lot about them, of course, especially about the family of Glaze as I was one of them. Just a year after the first successful experiment of the program, they created another batch of subjects. That year, I was born, on the 13th day of September.

But it's been so long since I forgot about the fact that I once belonged to their family and made everyone who knows me believe I'm just Aeryn without a family name. They have turned their back on me so I turn my back on them.

"Are you gonna buy something, young lady?"

I raised my head at him. "Two reenths for the dagger?"

"Three."

I sighed and took three reenths out of my small satchel and dropped it on the stall. After that, I picked up a long dagger with a black hilt and a blade made of silver. The merchant just saluted me as I slipped the dagger on my empty thigh holster and walked away from his stall.