Chapter 33: Venture to another world

As soon as the sunlight hits the surface of Earth, all bodies of the dark creatures burnt and turned into ashes until there were no longer traces of them. But because of the morning light, we were also able to see all the dead bodies of the humans lying on the ground, scattered everywhere.

It was dreadful, horrifying, and heartbreaking.

The gate of the headquarters was closed even after the war was over and when they finally opened it, the people frantically started to search for their loved ones. Mages took most of the damage, while the civilians were affected only in the first hour of the war during the time they were still running to the headquarters for safety.

"I have to see my daughter!"

"Please, Sir, my f-father could..."

"H-He stayed back to give me time to run..."

There was a pang in my chest as I look at them crying their heart out, begging the Eretherian soldiers and the surviving mages to ask them for help to find their family.

How much do they have to lose to survive in this new world?

Fear crept into my system as I thought about what was to come. A war between humans and demons, and the past repeating itself. What could we humans do to defeat them? For us to live peacefully. It seems like even after all of these sufferings, we can never attain peace.

"Aeryn."

I turned around when I heard a soft familiar voice. I saw Einna walking toward me, and the moment I saw her face, I saw Evy and was immediately reminded of what I did. I failed.

"Einna..." I let out a small sigh. "What are you doing here?"

She gave me a small smile. "I came as a volunteer to help those who are wounded."

"Are the children at school okay?"

"Fortunately, the creatures never made it to the mountains. The children are fine."

She stood by me as we watched all of the people standing on their feet, some crying their hearts out and some having hopes now that the war is over.

"I'm sorry, Einna." I felt her stare at me. "It must've been hurt so much losing your daughter. I'm sorry I couldn't save her."

I heard her sigh.
"I don't blame anyone, Aeryn. Not even you. What happened wasn't your fault and you have done your best to save the children. It wasn't your fault."

Her words were enough for me to be convinced that I shouldn't blame myself anymore.

"I'd like to thank you for what you did to us. You save us and gave us a home. Even at those moments, Evy was happy that she got to be with you and the other kids. She was genuinely happy, Aeryn."

"I know." I smiled and lowered my head before secretly wiping the tears from my eyes. "I miss her."

"Me, too," Einna mumbled. "Me, too."

After a while, we went on our way. Einna has to tend to the wounded and I have to find Vandris. Though I don't have to find him anymore because the moment I think about him, he was the first one who found me. I could even feel his presence behind me.

Before he could go near me, I thought about what decision should I choose now that there is something I must do. I know Vandris would still ask me to come with him and I need to give him my final answer.

He stood before me and slowly lifts his hands before touching both of my cheeks. He caress my cheeks and I looked at his gentle eyes staring at me.

"Are you alright?" He asks.