Chapter 43: The inevitable

From the moment that sun had risen over the horizon and birds were chirping around the Kingdom, I searched for a way to find Erether. Now that the magic barrier—that keeps the world divided—is now broken and gone were the realms that keep all the creatures locked inside every land, I thought I had to be knowledgeable about every corner of Earth's places.

The whole world is now open and may be visible to the dark creatures who sought after the destruction of humanity.

"Was it a good decision to break down the barrier?"

"You had to do it," Vandris replied. "The enemies have already found this planet and the reason why they have not attacked at once maybe because they're still preparing for the war. If that's the case, it's important to reunite all light creatures so we can have their alliance once again. You did what was right."

It was still hard to process everything. This responsibility of saving the world and the universe still seems so surreal to me and I was afraid it would take a toll on me. I was afraid of the thought of failing.

I don't want to fail. I want to protect. But it might take some time before I could get used to doing this (if we even have time to prepare).

I went out of the palace with Vandris and took a tour of the human town while searching for a world map. I have to find out where we are exactly on Earth and a map would help us with that—if there is any.

"There's a man who owns some shop here around the corner. He sells antiques and ancient objects." Vandris said, looking around the market. "I think we can find something we can use there."

"I hope he has GPS though," I said as I tied my hair into a low ponytail.

"GPS? What is that?"

Oh. I forgot that Alteshar is still the old school they are even if they already living on Earth. Elves are elves. And they might be different from humans when it comes to adapting to modernity even if they are our likeness.

Erether evolve for all those years we left the ordinary world. Though, it's not the kind of evolving process that focuses on technologies, but rather on magic. Unlike history, we don't have flying machines anymore and no one is interested to make one again because it would be useless now. The only technology we have now is; vehicles, radios, communication devices, GPS, computers, and other technologies useful in the science facility back in Erether.

"Well, Prince Casper," Vandris grimaced hearing the name I call him, teasing him with it and I fought the urge to laugh. "It is a locating device that enables you to find a place you're looking or even people or things or whatever. If we can have it, we might be able to find a way to find Erether. Though, the world map would be useful, too."

"Well, when the barrier lets you see the visions, didn't you see all the places on Earth?"

"The only land I was familiar with is the one near Erether where a bunch of phoenixes is living in the mountains and the place in the northern part of this land. But the visions don't let me know where exactly it is."

A few minutes after walking through the busy marketplace, we finally arrived at a store where a man was sitting behind his desk, looking bored while playing with his keys. The shopkeeper's bell chimed with one push of the door, and he stood up with a smile, hiding the keys in his hand and pushing up his eyeglasses with one hand. He put his hands on his back after that.

"Mabuti naman at may napadpad na dito." He made a small curtsy to Vandris before he turned to me. "His Royal Highness. And...?"

There were a lot of things displayed on the shelves inside his stores. Most of it is something I don't recognize. They're old looking but it was pleasing to the eyes and quite attractive, especially the pair of clothes I saw that was displayed in the corner.