Chapter 45: The great war's misery

(Third Person Point of View)

The alarm blares in every corner of Erether—its sharp sound waking up all the people who are sleeping, even those who are sleeping like a log. They woke up in a jolt, beads of sweat quickly formed on their forehead as the alarm continues to echo—informing them of the danger that awaits them. The others woke up confused, looking around and shaking as they saw people running around.

Mages activated the magic barrier again inside Erether's headquarters as their evacuation ground, as the battle is starting.

"All citizens of Erether, please go inside the headquarters for safety as quickly as possible." The speakers in every corner of the nation let all the people in Erether hear the voice of the announcer. "All citizens of Erether, please go inside the headquarters for safety as quickly as possible."

Thanatos Organization had orders from Aeryn, with the help of Azer's authority. They were tasked to protect the safe zone while the mages are bound for the battle. In that way, if the magic barrier can't withstand the power of the dark creatures, they will be the last soldiers who will fight for humanity's survival.

Ariyah and all the mages of Erether went outside the border, opening the gates and closing them right after they all got out. They stood in lines—millions of them—holding their weapons and waiting for the right time before they conjure their magic.

The night was not quiet anymore, it brings danger and darkness. The chill of the night bites on their flesh and the dark aura chokes them until they had a hard time breathing. Above them, was the moon's illuminating light below the Earth, showing them what was coming to them.

A few kilometers away from them are the enemies—the dark creatures growling and shrieking. They all come out at once from the large disc portal, the core looking like an abyss—so dark, so eerie.

There were millions of dark elves, beasts, demons, and armies of the abyss. One mage who can fly into the air flies far above the dark creatures and gulps as he sees the number of their enemies. There are numbers of the dark creatures who are huge, the size of ten men—giants, to be exact. Some can fly that the mage has to avoid being seen or it would be the end of him. The majority of the dark creatures were crawling and walking on the ground, staying in one place, near the portal as if they were just waiting for something.

The mage went back to his pack and report to Ariyah.

"T-There were too many of them." His eyes shifted, his body trembling. "Our numbers are only half of their armies."

"Oh." She let out a heavy sigh. "May the odds be ever in our favor," Ariyah muttered under her breath.

Aeryn went outside the headquarters during the time the mages have went outside the border. She went near the gate where she knows Azer and the rest of the organization members are. Along with the other council member of Thanatos, Azer spoke with them, forehead creasing and expression forming in distress.

Azer turned to her and immediately excused himself from the meeting.

"Old man." She went towards him and immediately hugged him. It lasted for a few seconds before she took a step back, looking at him with deep stares. "Where's Jonah?"

"I don't know." He shook his head and brushed up his unruly hair. "I've been looking for that boy but I haven't seen him since the alarm goes off."

She frowned. "Do you think he's outside with the mages?"

"He must be foolish if he even thought of going outside the border." Azer tilted his head, looking deeply into her eyes. "Are you going outside with them?"