Chapter 44: The dead of night

(Third Person Point of View)

The portal was finished in almost two days. With the remaining time that they have calculated that the portal will be finished, they spent it by making sure that the portal will remain strong and untouchable when the time comes they have to go to war.

The portal stands a few meters away from the Kingdom's gate, standing tall like two pillars in a huge palace. The pillars were 50 feet tall, 3 meters in width, and the distance between the pillars is 7 meters. It was designed that way so the light creatures would easily get through the portal (especially the dragons) and arrive at Erether along with the elves.

After that, the elves and the moon witches combine their magic to make the portal work.

Everyone can feel the heavy tension. Everyone knows that this war could either crumble them to ashes or be the key to making the world go back to normal. They know it, and they felt fear for what's going to happen.

The King has an order for those humans-both mages and ordinary humans-to stop them from joining the war and prioritize their safety instead. But most humans, especially mages, choose not to follow the order and insisted they join the battle to protect the ones they love out of bravery and compassion. The King had no choice but to permit them to join because as a matter of fact, they would be at a disadvantage if they are shorter in several soldiers.

They don't know how or when the enemies would come to their land, wreaking havoc and coming back to destroy their world. Even some of them are not prepared for it-they weren't exactly prepared to die. And they weren't mentally prepared to face the demons once again.

Aeryn knew-she knew very well-some of them do not wish to go on this journey. For a hundred years, they have lived in peace and solitude. Alteshar has not experienced an enemy attack since the great war. They lived here, protected and sheltered by their magic. They have what they wanted here in Alteshar even if it is so much different than the world they are living in before.

Getting into a war after a hundred years isn't just something they have expected or even wanted. They thought they can finally have the life they wanted but right now, the time is not agreeing with their expectations. But they had hope, they have faith, that the prophecy will be the key to saving this world and everyone. They have faith in Aeryn Glaze.

Aeryn's heart has been beating loudly every second passed. Right now, she could feel as if she was going into a game she knew she couldn't win. Except, it's not a game this time. It's the reality she's against at. Despite knowing herself as the strong and brave woman she is, she had her fair share of fear that she was trying to bury. She showed it multiple times, but this time was so much different. It was so much larger.

She had always been afraid of losing the people she loves, but what more could she feel if she'd failed to protect everyone. Even from thinking that she couldn't protect them in this battle, her heart breaks apart and the pressure was crushing her down. She won't know what she would do if she lost them.

"Where's Natalie?" She asks as she went into the Kingdom's gate.

"She's at the palace, probably," Vandris answered. "Why?"

"We have to know when the war would come. I don't know what to do. It felt so near but I don't want it to happen yet. I don't think I'm...ready for this."

Vandris held her shoulders and she started to breathe at a steady, calm pace. She looked up at him and saw the hope in his eyes, something she had wished that she had also had.

"Okay. We'll find her. We'll go to her." He smiled and caress her cheek with his thumb. "I'll be with you always, Aeryn. So have faith, okay? Take it easy."