Chapter 22: Doom

It feels like forever as the elevator lifts us to the top floor. The three of us were silent but our hearts have been pounding to death. When we finally arrived at the floor where the training ground is, Ariyah, Grim, and I went out of the lift to see what was happening inside.

At the highest peak of the headquarters building, we stood right at the middle, lifting our head to the sky above, and watched as the sinister unfolds before our very own eyes.

"What the fuck..." My mouth left agape and my mind went blank for a moment.

There it was, in the night sky, hundreds—no, maybe even thousands of creatures were flying around. High pitch screech, wearing a cloak that looks like it was torn to pieces and flying around without wings. Some were pounding on something that I couldn't see, probably the magic barrier. It made a sound every time the creatures pound on it, sounding like it was pounding hard on a wall. There was no moonlight to illuminate the Earth below as if it was hiding away from the creatures.

It's familiar.

"What the hell is that?"

"Soul suckers," Grim replied.

"Yeah." Ariyah nodded as she glance at Grim, her slightly wrinkled face frowning at him. "How did you know about soul suckers?"

"Didn't your school tell the stories about the creatures that attacked this Earth?" Grim asks nonchalantly.

"Yes, but—"

"We don't have time to talk about useless things. Those creatures are out there."

Now I remember. Soul suckers are some of the creatures that were written and drawn on the book that Grim had possessed. As someone who had been to the school for mages, I understand why Ariyah was confused about why Grim knew about their existence. They never told anything specific about them to children, and I guess that's the part where I don't dislike it because they thought about what the children would feel once they knew how traumatizing the creatures are. Although, it has now come to a disadvantage because they are here and it would be more traumatizing for them because they have not been warned about them.

I looked back at the sky again. That thing above would have been too traumatizing for kids because they're much worst looking than shadow demons. They have a ruined face, mummified, dry, and completely mortifying to look at.

They suck. I mean, literally. They suck...souls. The moment they open their mouth, they can suck multiple souls and once your soul is being sucked, you can do nothing else but wait for your death.

What the hell is happening? How did they—

I froze and my eyes widens. Victoria. The portal!

"Grim! Come on."

I didn't wait for him and immediately ran as fast as I can to go to the infirmary where I know Victoria is supposed to be. However, when I got there, she wasn't there and my heart dropped.

"No," I whispered, weakened and devastated.

At that moment, the door of the infirmary opens abruptly and Grim went inside. When he realized what was already happening, he sucked in a heavy breath and his mouth went agape.

"Another portal is open again." He said and we left the infirmary together in a hurry. "We have to close it."

"Yeah. Sound so easy." I sigh. "We have to find Victoria first."

"It will be risky to go out of the border with these soul suckers outside having a rampage." He stopped and turned to me. "I'll go out and you tell the others to prepare."