Chapter 21: Sinister unfolds

I had a deep thought of what I was going to do once my suspicions will turn out to be the truth. When we were still outside in the regions, our organization had no rules when it comes to our mission and we would immediately eradicate our target once we were on it. We wouldn't even think twice about killing someone because we were doing it for a reason. Money, revenge, out of a will, without these reasons, missions wouldn't exist in our vocabulary. We wouldn't mind being the bad guy as long as we're going to get rid of the people that are the reason for the other's misfortune.

But now, I was having a dilemma. Something that started only after I met Victoria.

We're now inside mage headquarters and while inside their territory, we can't exactly do the things we usually do, which includes killing people. Victoria is a mage. If I decide to kill her, the council will have my—and the other's head. But other than that reason, something inside me that doesn't want to hurt Victoria. I wouldn't even believe that she was the link of the shadow demon. This was the first time I thought about what was morally right.

It wasn't her fault that the shadow demons had entered Erether. It wasn't her will to open the portal. She doesn't want it to happen and she doesn't even have any idea on what's her connection with the portal and why she was there when it opens.

"He...thanked me for opening the gate of chaos."

That means that that shadow demon who spoke to Victoria knows her. And by the gate of chaos, he must've meant the portal. Or something else. But how?

I let out a heavy sigh and halted. I was still bothered by what Victoria had said to me about having a shadow inside me. I slightly looked down and held my chest. Does that mean the orb went inside me? For as long as I can remember, the orb collided against me and that's why I just thought it only went through me. But if it's inside me now, what was I supposed to do? What if it will cause more chaos?

I sigh again. Then, I froze when I heard a tussle behind me. I turned around and my eyes met with Victoria's.

"Aeryn." She took a step forward but stopped when she was at least 10 feet away from me.

I clicked my tongue. Just when I decided not to find her and she came standing before me.

A thick pressure started rising between me and Victoria as we faced each other. I can only assume that she came to me to get the star or if not, I don't know why she's here with that expression as if she's about to do something she had never done.

So...

I pull out the star from my satchel and show it to her. She knitted her brows and frowned as she looks at the object.

"W-What are you doing?"

"I know you don't have a star." I cocked my head as I look at her and smiled. "So you can have mine."

I can't do anything carelessly so I needed to produce physical evidence to do what I has to do.

"I don't want to fight you, Aeryn."

"That's why I am giving you my star."

This is why I have to do this.

"B-But..."

"You heard what the announcer said. You can get your star by stealing or striking a deal with your opponent. So if you don't want to fight me, I can just give you mine."

I noticed her uneasiness after that and I teased her more by shaking the object I was holding while smiling. I'm sure Victoria is not stupid not to know that there's a hidden message behind my words. It wasn't even cryptographical so I know she'll get it.