Chapter 2: Never-ending war

I stared at a certain house, inhabited by the leader of Region 12 namely Mr. Ogami while I was leaning against a huge trunk of a tree and playing with my throw dagger. The house has two stories and is surrounded by a gate made of concrete while the entrance is heavily guarded by two armed men and I reckon there are one or two men inside the guardhouse.

I held the dagger steady as I looked back at the house. While Ogami's men have weapons, thieves need not worry about those things as they could get easily inside every house only the catch is if they tried to break in inside Ogami's house, the alarm would set off and his men would immediately move to catch the thief. Of course, like the rest of the leaders, Mr. Ogami also held information about Erether the reason why his house needs tight security. Well, that's why I'm here, observing the place. We'll never know. We might get information about the missing children and Mr. Ogami might be the key to that.

We have been observing and studying Mr. Ogami's house for a few days and know where we have to go and what to avoid. That said, we have also been planning to infiltrate his house to carry on with our mission.

Mr. Ogami is a politician member who is a pet of the council. Well, all of them are a pet to the council, especially to the headmistress. It's only safe to say that there is only 1 out of 52 leaders who act as a leader although, that man is no longer alive.

Erether has 8 council members and as long as I can remember, the council includes the director of the science facility, two council members who are the head of children and adult mages, and then 5 regional directors who command every 10 regions or 12 for the fifth regional director. As for Mr. Ogami, he has had a close-knit relationship with one of the council members, the head of the children's mages. And I know for sure, they are all somehow connected to the case of the missing children. Whether I'm right or wrong, there's only one way to find out.

Besides his huge house is Erether's headquarters which can be seen a few meters from here, the top floors of the buildings can be seen from outside the wall. The buildings are not what they used to look like before so I don't know what was on that floor. Although, I'm pretty sure it's all just the same as the other quarters, training grounds, and laboratories.

The mage headquarters are for the humans who have magic. It is located inside Erether's headquarters where the science facility is also located. I remember I used to hate going inside the science facility after undergoing hard training because they would put different stuff inside me, like needles and drugs they use to help make my body more adapt to my magic if I ever had. Then, they would take a test on me to find out if I finally gathered my mana after every training I have but it always results in a negative one. The exhaustion I experienced when doing my mission as one of Thanatos members is nothing compared to what I had experienced inside the headquarters. I was better off here, just like what they said. At least, I love what I do here.

They have academies for them to learn and they trained with their magic and abilities. But when Erether was founded, there was no history of any schools and academies letting the children, the ordinary ones, learn and receive an education like how humans lived before this world became like this. One would say they have been illiterate for a century, and it's only rare to have parents who could teach their children to read or write. Most people here think that but there are secrets that not even Eretherian soldiers who roamed around the nation know, and it's better if it remains that way.

"The vehicles are ready." Jonah came up beside me and I nodded.

I walked with him as we went on the main road where two vehicles, a mid-size four-wheel drive off-road SUV, were waiting for us. Jonah was the one who drove the other vehicle and I climbed beside him in the passenger seat.

"How's Einna and Evy?" I asked.

"They're safe." He replied as he began to maneuver the wheel, his muscles flexing as he turned it around.