Chapter 27: Her resolve

The moment I went out of the cabin, I shudder at the coldness of the weather. The rain won't stop pouring down below since the sun had risen on the horizon. I blow a long sigh and wore my coat and put my cap over my head.

I was supposed to go to where Vandris is right now but the vehicle has no roof and I'll be drenched even before I could get there. It doesn't seem like this rain would stop anytime soon, either.

"Aeryn!" I turned and saw Jonah arriving at my cabin, messing his hair to get rid of the raindrop. "Azer wants me to give this to you."

He handed me a paper. I took it immediately and read it. It was a certificate that has the seal of Erether.

"What's this?"

"That's your permit to go out of the border. He told me you were gonna go to Grim. Why?"

I folded the paper into two and put it in the pocket of my coat.

"I'll tell you once I'll get to talk to him."

"Alright." He looked at me up and down. "You're going somewhere?"

"Yeah."

"Just go once the rain stops."

The question is, when would this rain stop? Just a few minutes ago, I was thinking of not going outside and just waiting until the rain stops. But I thought Vandris would be there, waiting for me so it made me think twice. He might have an answer on how to stop this chaos to happen since he has told me about it. Besides, he helped me before by making me realize I have magic within me and he played a huge part in our successful battle against the chiroufs. We didn't know anything about chiroufs so if we have attacked them right away, we would have all been dead by now.

"Do you have an umbrella?" I ask Jonah.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Wait here. I'll get it for you."

Jonah left me alone for a moment and when he came back, he had a black umbrella in his hand while using it to come back here to the cabin.

"I'm going."

Since the bridge was near us, I just walked the distance while using the umbrella to cover me from the rain pour. I thought Vandris wouldn't wait on me since it has been an hour or so since the sunrise, but my lips twitched into a smirk when I saw him standing at the bridge, looking below while holding a large transparent umbrella. He was wearing his white cloak, the hood over his head.

And then, he turned to me and our eyes met. He smiled at me and waved his hand. Right at that moment, miraculously, the rain had stopped.

I looked around and lift my hand to test if there was no rain anymore. Did it just stop abruptly?

"I thought you wouldn't come." He said with a relief itched on his voice as he walked in my direction. "I waited for you for almost an hour."

"And I thought you wouldn't wait." I closed the umbrella. "I don't like crossing the rain so I just waited until it stops. Good thing, Jonah had an umbrella."

"I made it rain." He softly chuckled. "I thought it would make the weather better."

"No, it didn't." I rolled my eyes and continue to walk passed the bridge. "So what are we supposed to do here?"

"You can follow me, Your Highness."

I followed him, not minding what he said, as he walked towards the direction of the forest.

"Oh wait!" He turned around to me and handed his hand to me. "Please, give me your umbrella."

I frowned but still gave it to him. A second after he held it, it disappears from his hand and I frowned even more.