Chapter 40: Obscure

(Third Person Point of View)

The nearest shelter Vandris can find was a small cave near a small lake where the water is already frozen due to the winter season. He took the extra coat from the satchel and lie it on the ground before putting Aeryn on it. He continues to breathe deeply as he put his fingers on her wrist, feeling her pulse.

"Fuck." He could not help but cursed—relieved—when he can still feel her pulse, after fearing that he may lose her.

"You're gonna be okay." He whispered before kissing her forehead.

In a second, Vandris was able to gather dry woods inside the cave. He waved his hand in front of the wood, and in the next second, the woods were already burning, making a bonfire.

The fire crackles through the still night, as the snow outside continues to fall like rain. No growlings and roars were heard outside, but he continue practically hear his heart beating loudly every second passed.

He healed her wounds first before holding her head to find out what was happening to her. Aeryn did not get any deep wounds nor did that beast have the intention to inflict physical harm on her. And he had realized that after trying to read her mind, seeing nothing but darkness.

She was already under the dark spell of the half-demon and half-beast creature. Even though the beast who had made her like this already met its death, she has not woken up from the dark spell.

He held her hand and let out a heavy sigh. Despite knowing what was happening to her, he couldn't do anything to help her. The dark spell is something that he could not counter with his light magic, especially since they're in a devil's territory.

He could not calm his beating heart and his anxious mind. How can he when the only woman she cared about is in a terrifying situation and maybe on the verge of dying? All he could ever do at that moment was to heal her wounds, give her the warmth she needed and protect her while she was fighting against her inner demons.

He noticed her flinching and he leaned forward before putting his palm over her forehead. Her body was burning up.

This was the very thing that he had feared, endangering her life. No one has detailed information about the land Thirio, moreover of the beasts living in it. But they know enough to know that that beast—who had the form of a reindeer—can trap its victims in a world full of their fears, reaching their deepest fear, so intense and extreme that they won't be able to come back to the real world.

He closed his eyes as he held her hands this time with both hands. He conjure his magic and began to transfer the light to Aeryn. But then he saw it again, the darkness inside her mind as if it was empty before he saw golden yellow light. It shines for a moment before he felt his magic going back to his core.

He opened his eyes and saw her frowning and sweating bullets. Then, he began to notice some red spots—blood stains—on her winter cloak and when he opened it, he saw some cuts and burns on her skin. His fear worsens when he saw a deep cut on the side of her stomach that her blood continuously drips from it. Her breathing began to tremble and was groaning endlessly.

"Aeryn!" He breathed hard, cupping her cheeks and shaking her slightly. "Please, wake up! Wake up, Aeryn, and release yourself from the pain."

He tries to heal her wounds again but it just keeps on coming back—it eventually drains out his energy and he had to stop to prevent himself from going beyond his limitation and killing himself. He still has to survive for Aeryn.

"If you can hear me," he lowers his head and puts her hand on his forehead. "You have to wake up, Aeryn. Come back to me."

There was nothing else he could do but to trust in her that she can get through the dark spell and survive. The victims of the dark spell are against their fears. And maybe, just maybe, she would be able to come back if she defeated it. It won't be easy. He knows it won't. But he had faith in her and know that she would everything just to live.