Chapter 47: Heartless

(Third Person Point of View)

Aeryn pushed the devil's wrist to his abdomen while facing the tip of the blade to him. The lord of the abyss just smirked at her and pushed his hand to the side and bring it back to hit Aeryn with his elbow. Fortunately, she was able to block it with her arms.

Aeryn move her right hand to throw a punch at him and the abyss lord immediately parried her with the same action. Then, he held the dagger in reverse grip before pushing down the weapon to Aeryn's face. She caught his hands, stopping the dagger from stabbing her in her face.

She groaned as she gave a sideways glance at Azer, noticing he can also move despite the time stopping but hasn't left his post.

"Azer, get out of here!"

"I can't fucking move my feet!"

She cursed and pushed up the dagger, pushing the tip of the blade far from her.

"Fucking shit." She glared at the devil in front of her and realized by then that he was still preventing Azer from moving while he was fighting with her. "When you can move, I want you to run away immediately."

"Aeryn—"

"Azer, just listen to me!" She screamed, getting desperate and the lord of the abyss was loving the emotion Aeryn has shown. "Please, just fucking run when you can move."

With a loud groan, Aeryn pushed the lord of the abyss one last time with her gathered strength and then shoved her palm in his direction—making the abyss lord burn in fire. It covers his whole body, but there was no shriek or screams from him. Aeryn continue to do it while she faced her other hand in Azer's direction.

She tried her best to remove the lord of the abyss' control over Azer and goes to the roots to cut the ties that were controlling his body like a puppet. She momentarily saw a black thread covering the entire body of Azer before it was all cut off by a light that travels from his head to his feet.

Azer was finally able to move and Aeryn let down her other hand before focusing on burning the lord of the abyss. She used both of her hands this time, fire shooting out of her bare hands and as she screamed, it burned the devil alive—or not.

"Do you think..." He heard a menacing voice in her head. "...you can kill me with that?"

She heard the mocking laugh of the abyss lord before she witnessed the fire that was burning the devil's body was put off immediately. She closed her hand, stopping the fire from coming out of her palm.

She panted heavily and stared in horror as the devil walks up in her direction.

"Humans are always fool—"

A loud sound of a gunshot echoed through the field and Aeryn noticed how the abyss lord jerked when he was shot by his chest. She quickly turned her head behind and saw Azer holding a pistol. She sucked in a harsh breath as Azer began to shower the lord of the abyss with bullets until there was no more to shoot.

"I will not fail." She mumbled under her breath and stood before the abyss lord, covering Azer. "I told you to get out of here, Azer."

She's desperate to save Azer's life no matter what happens. He's all that's left of her and she could not take it if she won't be able to save him. She will not fail the second time.

"Bullets." The abyss lord laughed before dusting off his clothes. "The design is very human."

She snickered.

"Leave him out of this. I will face you alone."

She can't survive in this world alone if Azer will leave her, just as Jonah did. She cannot bear the same mistake again—of being the reason for someone's death. Even if she will face millions of enemies, she will do everything—even at her last breath—to protect them.