Chapter 5: Fear

On the second day of the organization's gathering, we were called on to have a meeting early in the morning, where all of the members who were present stood in line in front of a medium-sized platform, each of them standing behind their leaders. I supposed today was the day the leader was gonna choose whose men to include in the next big mission. I can only hope that he would include me.

I looked around the field crowded with all the members of Thanatos as I walked behind Jonah. I slipped both of my hands inside the pockets of my jacket and spotted Azer from afar, standing in front of the lines, and then I looked at the platform where I recognized some of the people standing there as the council members.

"I thought he had already chosen someone to be on the team," I said. "I mean, it seems to be urgent so I guessed he already had someone in his mind to work with him."

"Do you expect the leader to know every member of the organization?" Jonah chuckled as he glanced at me. I frowned as a response. "In a critical mission like this, the regional leaders will present their best men on the mission while the rest of the members who weren't chosen will continue to do their job, or some of them will be given a task by the leaders but excluded from the mission. As for our group, there is a huge possibility that we will be included in the mission since we are the group who were assigned to this task in the first place."

"We don't know that." I shrugged and he shrugged back.

We finally arrived at where our group was and I looked at Azer who was in front of all of us, proudly standing with dignity and a strong presence. When he caught sight of us, he called us to be in front of the line, and we immediately followed his order without a complaint. I stood behind Azer and Jonah stood beside me.

I slightly leaned towards Jonah and whispered at him.

"What do you think the leader looks like?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "But I reckon, he doesn't look as much handsome as me."

I grimaced at him and scowled. I mean, Jonah is a handsome man and I am very aware that multiple women have their feet swept off by him. I just didn't know that he had this arrogant side of him.

"Never thought you would be this arrogant."

"Just telling the truth, Aeryn." He chuckled as he glanced at me and I just grinned.

The crowds were noisy and full of chatter as they were talking and wondering whoever will the leader pick for the mission. Of course, pretty much everyone in the organization wanted to be in the mission since they either wanted to help the children or they must have wanted to get recognized and have their position upgraded. I mean, each one of us has an agenda. Some wanted to do good, some wanted to be free, and some just wanted money and the power to do what they wanted to do.

I looked around, looking at some members that were standing behind the regional leaders. Some of them were intimidating and weren't wearing any expressions. Some were naturally friendly with each other. I've already met and known some of them, but a lot of them are someone new to my eyes. All races of the members were united in this organization. Asian, White, and Black, all were welcome in this organization. I was half-Asian and half-American. Jonah was caucasian. Azer was Russian. The rest of our group, well, I don't know. We don't base our characteristics on our races.

After a few minutes of waiting that feels like years, the council members began to step up on the platform, each of them standing in a vertical line. There were 3 women, and 5 men, although I'm sure the other one was not a member of the council member because just as I heard, he was a spy. Dr. Herald was not wearing a lab coat, just like what I had always seen before. He was wearing grey pants and a white shirt with a denim jacket. I don't know how old he is but he looks old enough to be in his 60s. His hair has white hair was clean-cut and he has a thick bear. Behind his thick glasses were his blue eyes that roamed around the crowd, probably observing all the members of the organization.