Chapter 18: Drawn to magic

There are only 7 teams left inside the mage now as the emerald and purple team have successfully got through this round. Meaning, there are still a lot of us here and the chance of our gem being stolen had a higher percentage than getting out of this place. I looked at the gems again inside the satchel and gripped it tightly. If I can find the exit of this maze, the sapphire team will immediately be eliminated from the game, since our team has their gem, and a little number of points will be added to us.

I trailed along the pathway, coming across two dead ends, and made me go back to my way 2 times. I cursed under my breath and brush my hair up in frustration. The maze was formed into a snowflake symbol. I don't know if I'm right about this but I guess they made the maze this way because Snow Glaze won the tournament last year. The pattern of the maze is complicated though and it might take a long time for me to find the exit since I couldn't quite remember the pattern. I guess it's one of my weaknesses.

I trailed away from the dead-end path but halted when I heard muffled talking voices coming my way. It's no doubt that the other team is coming in my direction, but even as I looked around, I was already surrounded by the walls and the bottom of the pathway will once again lead me to my dead end.

"Fuck." I mumbled. "Well, this wasn't in the rules."

Having no other choice, I turned to the dead end and ran as fast as I can. When I was but a foot away from the wall, I jumped with a twirl and landed on the other side of the wall with my other leg stretched, and my right hand planted on the ground. Then, I lift my head to look ahead of me and was slightly surprised when the exit of the mage appeared in front of me.

"Congratulations." A man in a red uniform stood before me with a huge smile. "You and your team have passed the first game."

I blinked with a small smile.

"How lucky," I whispered and then gave the satchel to him when he asks for it.

Seems like luck is on my side this time.

There was a yellow line on the exit of the maze and when I stepped out of it, screams and chants greeted my ears. The audiences were back in my vision and when I turned around, the maze was gone. So it was an illusion, after all.

"Congratulations to Team Ruby for finding their gems and founding their way out of the maze." The announcer spoke on the mic. "Ruby team had found the ruby and sapphire gem, which only means, the team sapphire is officially eliminated from the tournament."

Screams began to grow louder as the two staff guided me towards the others, sitting in the chairs that were on the platform. I choose to sit on the chair beside Jonah, while Grim was on his left and I sighed.

"Congratulations. Finding the exit wasn't so hard for you, does it?"

I chuckled. "Kinda."

I looked at the field and saw the rest of my team on the field, some were separated and some with each other. They looked confused as they looked around, probably from the fact that they suddenly just disappeared from the maze, even without getting out of it. But it didn't take them long before they realized what happened and immediately followed the staff as they guide them here on the platform.

The game finally ended after an hour. 6 teams, including the teams where the rest of the members of our organization is part of it, successfully won while the rest of the players were eliminated from the tournament. After declaring that the first game of the tournament is over, a huge screen appeared above the field with our images, names, points under the name, and numbers on top of our pictures.

The announcer then explained that the number on our picture was our rank, and the points under our name were what we got from the first game. The rank determines who are the best player and the best mages. For now, there were only rankings available for the fighters and assassins. Meaning, at the end of this tournament, the rankings determine who the victor is.