Chapter 32: Breaking dawn

(Third Person Point of View)

He regrets everything he has done, including taking the risk of choosing the wrong and dangerous choice. But he had always believed he was doing it for his mother that he never got to save, and none have ever convinced him he was wrong.

Her mother was a mage like him, a mage that could teleport wherever she goes. Unlike Grim's ability which he discovered, later on, her mother's was only used by her only and no one could else benefit from it.

He was devoted to her mother. Not just because she was the woman that brought him to this world, but because his mother was the kindest person he had ever known. She was gentle, smart, funny, and cuddly. When he had his training, he stayed most of the time with her mother because he was the only one he wanted to spend time with. And so, the only option left for his mother was to train him herself.

Grim wasn't born was a mage. He doesn't have any magic and so he had more intense training than any other students in the academy to bring out his magic by force. Her mother also knows that once Erether deemed him useless, he will be thrown out of the headquarters. So she did everything she could do to bring out his magic.

But with so much suffering inside the laboratory and endless training, her mother got tired from all of it and realize he doesn't want his son to live the same life she had. However, on the day she plans to escape Grim out of the headquarters, his magic has come out of the shell.

"But Mom, I am now a mage. I am now like the others!" Grim exclaimed, excited and hoping it could change his mother's thoughts. "I'm better off here."

"No, you won't." Her mother crouched down before him and held his cheeks. "When you grow up, the scientists will have you as their subject and you have no choice but to submit to the councils as something they could use whenever they want. I won't let you become their puppet, Grim. Bear it in your mind that they are your enemy."

Young and had the biggest trust towards her mother, he believed her. It was already planted in his thoughts to escape from the headquarters and lived outside like an ordinary human with an ordinary life.

But with the council members' knowledge that his mother wanted to get his son out, they separated them from each other. His mother fought to stay together with her son, but Grim only ended up witnessing her mother dying in front of him.

Hatred grows and his broken heart leads him to another of his ability, creating multiple portals and it was his key to escape from the place he started to called as a prison. And whenever he looked back at the headquarters, revenge always comes to his mind.

Almost four months ago, before the children were starting to be missing, he discovered a portal just a few meters away from the border. It wasn't anything like the portals he could make. It was like looking into an abyss, spiraling darkness staring right through his eyes. And he's sure as hell he wasn't the one who created the portal.

But then, he also noticed an unconscious woman lying just near the portal and he went near it. He tried to wake her up and shook her body until he stops. That's when the portal lights up and he heard a soft pitch sound before a shadow-like creature comes out of the portal. He step away from it and immediately pulled out his sword.

His eyes went wide open as he stared at it and stretched out the sword towards the creature. The creature stared at the tip of the blade which was just a few inches from his face and let out a chuckle. He pushed it aside and looked at Grim again but Grin return his sword pointing at him.

"Who are you?"

"Why don't you guess what I am first?" The creature spoke, its voice was rough and deep.