Chapter 20: The infinite forest

(Third Person Point of View)

The next game wasn't something everyone had expected, not even those participants that have participated in multiple tournaments in the past. It wasn't just a simple game. It's a game where all the players are tested on how far they are willing to go to win, even to the point of hurting someone just to get the objective.

After the game was briefly explained, a large barrier, intended to keep the audiences away from any harm that the game might inflict, started to cover up the whole field as the players were in the middle. The magic barrier was visible for a couple of seconds, even to the ordinary human, and then disappears when it completely covered the field.

"All the players come forward and step in the line of the circle."

In the middle of the field, there was a white line slowly shaping into a huge circle. Every player started to take a step towards the circle, standing up while stepping into the white line. All one-hundred-fifty players form a huge circle along with the shape, standing side by side.

It was then, they started to hear a grumbling noise and the ground started to shake them. They looked at each other, wondering what was happening. They felt its power. Strong, intimidated, and something that couldn't be compared with their magic. They had a feeling it wasn't just one mage that the magic came from, but more than two.

Right then, everyone was awed when huge and tall trees started to come out from the ground, surrounding them but leaving space for the circle. It was like they have been transported in a huge magical forest, the field and the audiences were out of their sight, leaving only the trees in their vision.

It's not just words. The field was really huge and it was a size of a whole forest.

"Your weapons and any means of dangerous objects will be reprehended and you will only rely on your physical strength and your magic to survive this game."

In a matter of a few seconds, every weapon that the players have were gone like a speck of dust, including Aeryn's weapons.

"There are few of you who were selected to have an object with the symbol of the star and the only indication you have, is the light that blinks once in a while."

It was but a second when a small light appears two inches above the head of the players, indicating that they were chosen to have the stars.

"The stars will be in each of your satchels. Keep it safe until then, unless you don't want to win. Those who don't have any stars, can either steal or make a deal with your opponent. Again, good luck mages."

It was like the cue for all players, they immediately check their satchels that were strapped in their hips, to see if they have the key to win this game. One of the players, a female, had her eyes widen when she felt a hard object in her satchel. Realizing what it was, she immediately ran off to the forest, dropping a cloud of white smoke so it would cover up what direction she would go.

All the players who did not get any star then quickly chase down those players who have one, after taking a look at the blinking stars. All the players now entered the forest and the game has begun.

Jonah, Grim, and Aeryn were the last ones on the circle. Grim and Jonah's only plan was to only survive until the game ended, knowing both of them doesn't possess any stars. As the only one who has a star on her satchel, Aeryn ought to protect it until the end, until she would have the truth about Victoria.

She has a plan and no matter what happens, she will get to the end of it.

Taking one last look at Jonah and Grim, she went inside the forest in a hurry. She breathe in and out, as she trace the path where she saw Victoria go. She has to find her. No matter what it takes, their mission has to be successful. If Victoria is really the link to the shadow demons and the reason why the portal was open, the only thing she or Grim has to do was to kill her.