Chapter 36: Interconnection

Being a bond with someone or even by an elf is something I have never expected would happen in my life. This shit sounds like I'm in a fairytale for Pete's sake. As someone who has no particular interest in romance, this has to be the biggest bullshit that's ever happened in my life. I mean, Vandris is an elf and I respect their traditions or whatever that is but binding their heart to someone forever because of a spell is just...too much to bear.

"Why would I even choose him?" I muttered under my breath. "And love him back? It's not like I love him in the first place."

I don't even understand how I came to share my memories with him despite living in different realms. But it's not like I'm blaming him for it. It wasn't something he purposely did.

"Do you believe in destiny?"

I looked over at Vandris who is still looking outside the view from the palace. Even from looking at his eyes, I can see that he adores the people in this Kingdom, not just the place.

"I guess," I said, glancing at him. "Well, I believe it is always up to us to what our future is gonna be. We can make our future without someone else putting us on a predetermined course. It is always our choice that gets us to where we are and what we are right now." I looked over my shoulder to stare at him as he did at me. "You know I thought I would die when I was kicked out of the mage headquarters. But I change that by surviving. It's always up to us."

"Just like how it was your choice to choose me as your mate?" He grinned.

My eyes widen and my cheeks flared up because of his remark. I still can't get over the fact that I was the reason why the bond was sealed. And it's just strange for me to be romantically intertwined with someone.  I've been surrounded by men all my life but no one even dared to hit on me knowing I can kill somebody in a snap and of course because I have Azer acting as the protective father and Jonah as the jealous brother.

I bit my lower lip and look away. Yet, it was always a wonder to me why I would get easily swayed by his words. Which is more strange because I've never been this kind of woman. I cursed on my mind and cleared my throat.

"Don't be cheeky, Vandris. I haven't forgotten about the fact that you didn't tell me the truth." I said and stopped when I remember something. "And you even tried to act like you didn't know about Grim."

"Well, I wanted you to realize it! And I know better than to blame your friend while you're still confused."

I pursed my lips and didn't respond. I looked ahead of me, facing the view outside the palace. Grim was such a good friend and a good leader. There is good in him, even though his thirst for revenge didn't do him any good or even his death didn't justify the death of countless people. Because of his pain and past trauma, he succumbed to it and it makes him do horrifying things to people he used to care about. Or did he?

"There's always monstrosity hidden among the humans," I whispered.

I felt a pang on my chest and I turned around, walking towards the couch. I gulped the lump in my throat and almost stagger to my knees. Vandris caught me before I would even fall.

"Aeryn, what's happening? Are you okay?"

I held my chest and closed my eyes as I continue to feel the pain. I thought it was because I remember Grim but it felt different now that the pain travels down my abdomen.

"N-No, I'm not." I attempted to walk towards the couch but Vandris immediately slipped his hand under my thighs before carrying me towards the couch and lied me down on it.

"Where does it hurt?"

I groaned.
"My chest." I clenched and tried to speak again but the pain quickly overtook my whole body. I only manage to touch my abdomen and Vandris immediately understands.