Chapter 38: The land of Thirio

"Well, I certainly cannot risk the life of a Prince." I lift my brows at him and he frowned.

Before he could speak a word, I left the room and continue until I was outside the palace. I knew he was gonna follow me outside, and I groaned at the thought of him changing my thoughts. Bonded or not, a person shouldn't follow someone to their possible death even though he is in love with that person. That's stupid.

"You're gonna bring up my title every time we would argue, don't you?" I heard him behind me, his footsteps were heavy and hurried.

"We're not arguing."

"We will."

I frown. My feet lead me to the garden, roses, and daisies dancing along with the wind. I looked around, realizing that Ruby's territory was big.

"Aeryn, wait!"

I just rolled my eyes and continue to walk faster until I can no longer hear his footsteps or his voice. I stopped walking and turned around to check on him, but he wasn't there anymore. I frowned and turned around again, only to be surprised when Vandris was suddenly in front of me. My eyes widen in shock and I put my hands on his chest, but instead of pushing him, I was pushed back and almost fall to the ground. Fortunately, Vandris was quick to catch me, with his arms wrapping around my waist and then pulling me closer to him.

My breathing quickens as I looked up at him. Vandris stared back at me, his eyes dilating and tilting his head to look at me closer.

"Are you okay?" He whispered, traveling his hands on my back to hold me tighter.

"Y-Yeah. Why didn't I sense you?"

"Magic." He simply said.

I held his chest again and softly push him yet he didn't budge.

"Okay, well, you can let go of me now."

"We still have something to talk about."

I pursed my lips. "You're not coming with me."

I'm willing to risk everything to go through this journey but of course, dying was not on my plan. Still, I can't let him come with me.

"Listen to me. I didn't want to follow you there just so I can easily throw my life for you. I'm not that romantic." His forehead creased as his other hand went up to my forearm, holding me softly. "Besides, I would rather do everything to survive to protect you rather than risk my life for you knowing I would not be able to be with you when I'm gone."

I gulped, feeling the urge to look away from his intense stare.
"I don't need protection."

"I know. I know you're strong and you can protect yourself. But it's a different world out there, something that I'm familiar with. And even if you can protect yourself, I want to be there to watch your back." I looked away this time but then he caught my chin and made me look at him.

"Vandris—"

"Aeryn, please—"

"I'm scared something will happen to you." I sucked in a harsh breath and stepped back from him. "I don't want anyone to die or be in pain again because of me."

"Aeryn, you're not gonna put my life at risk. Don't you trust me?"

"I do. It's just that..." I sigh, rolling my tongue trying to find words to say but nothing comes to my mind.

"I won't die."

"You're not sure."

"I won't die. And don't jinx it." He chuckled. "I promise, I'll do everything to keep us both safe."