Chapter 23: Light amidst the darkness

Doom was once again pounding on our doors, threatening to break our homes. All civilians were having a panic when they saw what was outside the magic barrier, the creatures that is dying to suck out their souls.

It has been an hour since they have appeared outside Erether, flying and scaring all of the people below. They are still trying to pound and break the barrier, and fortunately, the magic barrier is still strong and has kept the chiroufs from entering our safe ground.

I never understand the concept of creating a magic barrier to protect Erether before, thinking mages are enough to protect all of the citizens of Erether. Because I thought humans have now become our enemy, now creatures are coming back to haunt us once again. We know that the barrier won't last for long now that the chiroufs have seen us all below here, waiting and preparing for the right time to do what was planned. All of them are now pounding on the barrier, and just like a glass, everything is bound to break.

I went along with Grim and the others while the mages are listening and following the orders of the headmistress and the council members. All the while, I thought about everything that Vandris had said to me.

A mage? Me? I know what he was trying to say. From the very beginning, it feel so weird when I felt that feeling of sensing the shadow demons and predicting what I was supposed to do to avoid getting killed by them. It tells me how to move, to see, to hear, and to sense everything.

But then I grow old hating Erether because they deemed me useless when I showed no sign of magic in me. So I would have never thought that this would happen and that I would eventually have the kind of magic that not everyone has. I know I just met Vandris but something deep in my heart tells me that I should believe him.

After leaving the armory, I never saw Vandris or Theodre amongst the crowd of mages. Though I was not looking for him, I wish to see what kind of things that man has to show to us.

"I'll be with the mages," Grim spoke and I looked at him. "Be with our team and handle the matters with the civilians. If we ever fail, you and the others will have my trust to protect the people."

"What? I told you, I'll come with you."

"Aeryn, you can't." He sighed deeply and held my shoulder. "I told you, it won't be easy for you out there. Alright. Let's just say I'm telling you this because you have no magic but I'm only doing this because I want to protect you."

"That's like telling me you don't trust me."

"I trust you!" He brushed his hair, frustrated and done with this conversation. "I trust you, okay? You are a strong woman and you can fucking protect yourself and I know you are a hard-headed woman but I need you to stay here, okay?"

I watched as his expression changed from frustration, frowning and knotting his forehead to staring at me deeply, his eyes full of emotion, and care.

I pursed my lips and I looked away, unable to bear looking into his eyes for so long.

"You are important to me and I don't want you to get hurt again. So please, do what I said."

I just lowered my head and didn't respond. I was left utterly speechless because of what he said. I didn't know that he could care so much about a person, even for me. I only know him as a good leader that implements strict rules among us and knows how to properly use his authority, but not as someone who cares about his people. Sure, he became a leader of this organization because he cares about the people of Erether, but I didn't think he would be so attached to his people.

I guess I underestimated him.

I looked at him again and nodded.
"Fine."

He let out a sigh of relief.
"Good."