Chapter 29. Unknown Zero

.......................This is from an unknown boy's perspective........................

20 years ago

When I open my eyes, I would see the same dark ceiling day after day. I have been trapped in this dark cell for my entire life. But I feel as though I'm not alone. There is a voice inside of my head. Whenever it talked, I felt as if my head were to explode. This extreme pain drives me crazy to the point where I would unconsciously attack my surroundings. The voice would occasionally scream in my head,"Pride..Envy..Lust..Greed..Sloth..Wrath..Gluttony.." Sometimes when I couldn't handle the voices any longer, I would try to commit suicide. But no matter what I did, I just couldn't die. I tried everything. A stab from the heart, ramming my head against walls, and even suffocating myself. But it was no use, my wounds would always heal after a few seconds. It was really painful, I hate this dark and lonely place...

But I guess there was one thing I did look forward to. From time to time, a boy with golden eyes would come and bring me food. When he does, I asked him many questions about the outside world. At first, he would just ignore me and leave. But over time, he would start to stay longer and talk with me. I learn so many things from him and the boy and I soon became best of friends. One day when the boy came to visit me, he unlock the door to my cell.

Golden-eye Boy: Go!

Unknown boy: Huh? B-

Golden-eye Boy: Hurry! There's not much time! The other Sinners will be here soon.

Unknown Boy:...thank you *****. (Can't reveal the name yet)

Without another word, I ran out of my cell. I don't think I've ever ran this fast before, there was never enough room to run in that tiny cell. As I ran up the stairs, I see a large gate. With all my might, I pushed open the gate and jumped out. The first thing that greeted me was the sunlight, I felt its warm light surrounding me.

Unknown boy:Ahh...so this is what warmth feels like.

..............................back to Zelphine's perspective................................

Present day

It has been a few hours since I've left my castle with Kuon and Yuri. As I walk behind Kuon, I notice a unfamiliar sword on Kuon's back.

Zelphine: Hey Kuon, is that a new sword?

Kuon: So you've notice, yes it is. While you were gone, I was always training to get stronger. I guess I've trained a bit too hard and Archenemy (the name of the old sword) broke.

Kuon then unsheathed his new sword and slashes the air.

Kuon: I call this one Arch Nemesis, pretty cool right.

Zelphine: Mm..sure

After traveling for three days, we enter a dense forest. It would take about another day for us to cross the borders to the forest land. As we rested besides a tree, we had lunch. I usually like eating the souls of living things whether it's a plant, animal, or human. I have never tasted the soul of a human before and I do not plan to. Once I extract the soul from their body, they shrivel up and die. I may be a demon but unlike other demons, I do not kill people randomly.

While I was eating, I saw a squirrel cracking open it's acorn. I thought it as very cute so I approach it. As I got closer, it ran away.

Zelphine: Hey wait!

I start to run after it. I chased the squirrel through the forest until I came towards a large tunnel with thick vines covering it. When I got inside, I saw a man lying on the floor. He had black hair and sword besides him. He was also wearing a unusual black outfit with a long sleeve on his left arm and no sleeves on his right. He's about my age, maybe even older and he is the handsomest guy I've ever seen. Well, Kuon and the others are cool too but there is something special about this person. But...I don't feel his aura, is he dead? I then place my hand on top of his chest....No pulse.

Zelphine:......(sigh) What a shame. He looks kinda cool too.

Suddenly, his left hand moved and held my hand which is still on his chest.

Zelphine:(Huh? He's still alive?! But he has no pulse!)

The man then open his crimson red eyes and stared at me. I stared back at him.

Zelphine: (Uwaa...what pretty eyes you have, it almost doesn't look real.)

He suddenly smiled at me.

Unknown man: (smiles) Hello there Miss.

The sound of his voice brought me back to reality and I pulled my hand away.

Zelphine: W-who are you!

The unknown man sat up and continue to smile.

Unknown Man: I'm sorry Miss but I'm afraid I can't answer that question.

I stared at him evily

Zelphine: (evil) And why is that, are you an enemy.

Unknown Man: Oh my, it seems that the Miss misunderstand. I'm no enemy, I can't tell you who I am because I don't know who I am.

Zelphine: Huh? Is it amnesia?

Unknown Man: Could be, but who knows. What might your name be miss.

Zelphine: Huh? Um..(It's best not to give him my real name) it's Zelphi. (Wait, isn't that still my name!)

Unknown man: Zelphi Huh? (Smiles) It's an unusual name.

Zelphine: I don't want to hear that from you, you're the unusual one. Aren't you suppose to be dead, you have no pulse!

Unknown Man: But as you can see Zelphi, I am quite alive. Alive and well, but just no memory.

Zelphine: Hm? Is that so, in that case, wanna come along with me. I'm traveling all over the land, maybe you can get you memory back while traveling with us.

Unknown man: That is quite an idea. Seeing that I don't have much options, I might as well.

Zelphine: Great! I'm glad you came along Zero.

Unknown man: Zero?

Zelphine: Since you can't remember your name, I'm going to call you Zero. Do you not like it?

Zero: No, it's not that. I was wondering of all the names, why did you pick Zero.

Zelphine: Hehe, that's simple. When you said you have no memory, it's like starting back at Zero, isn't it.

Zero: (smile) Yes, it is. Well then, allow me to introduce myself. I am Zero and I look forward to traveling with you, Zelphi.