Chapter 1. The Story Begins

Ten years later

Deep in the mountains Silva is hunting down giants one after another. Apparently the giants have taken over the top half of the mountain and that is where the medicinal herbs grew. The job asked by the village chief was to exterminate the giants. Silva's silver sword gleamed as he cut down the giants one after another. As Silva was distracted killing the other giants, one giant was able to get behind him and was about to stomp him. But before it can put down its foot,Slash! A shadow shot past it leaving a red mark at its legs. Then blood spurted everywhere and the giants leg fell off. With one leg, it lost its balance and fell down the cliff all the way to the bottom of the mountain.

???: Papa! Are you alright?

The shadow was actually a person wearing a black cloak and dress with a red cracked amulet. The ??? Person lower it's hood and revealed a beautiful girl with white hair, pale skin, and two different eye color. Her left eye was red and the right eye was blue. She was holding kurogai, a black scythe that is now dripping with blood.

Silva: Zelphi, your help is not needed. These giants are big so I should know when one of them is behind me.

Zelphi: Well, that's expected of my papa, but we can get the job done faster with two people.

Silva: I suppose so, you take that side of the mountain and I'll take the other.

Zelphi: Understood!

With that, me and papa went to work defeating one giant after another, they were at least 25 to 28 feet tall.

When the last of the giants were gone, I put away my scythe and my eyes returned back to their normal blue color. We went back down the mountain and claim our reward from the village chief.

Silva: Since today is your 16th birthday, I'll let you pick anything you want from the market.

My eyes started to glitter and I gave Papa a hug.

Zelphi: Yay!! Papa you're the best!

I always thought that I was born as an angel, but 10 years ago, part of my demon side awakened and I'm now a half demon and angel. What's worse, my papa isn't my real papa. But I can't deny that he is the one that raise and care for me so my papa is still my papa. One day my papa started teaching me how to use a scythe and taking me on his jobs. Whenever I wield a scythe, half of my demon self comes out and that is why my left eye is red. We did a lot of harsh training, yet I don't know why papa trains me so hard. But thanks to papa's tough training, I am confident to take on any challenge.

********************Change Perspective********************

Far south from where Zelphi is, a reaper prince is celebrating his eighteenth birthday and coming of age to the throne. This reaper prince had a alluring aura about him that makes him superior to others. He had black hair with his bangs clipped to one side and was wearing a ceremonial reaper cloak that was outlined with silver print of the reaper crest. As the prince walk towards the balcony, all the nobles clapped.

Prince: I thank you for coming today. As you know today is the day I take over my uncles legacy from sixteen years ago. Although he is not here today, I am sure he is smiling upon us all.

After the prince finish his speech, everyone clapped and the succession began. All the nobles lined up making a path for the prince to walk through towards the throne room. At the throne room, the prince kneels to the senators as they preached a ancient scripture while holding a black ring with silver lining of the reaper crest. This was no ordinary ring, it is actually a scythe called Zetsumeigai. Zetsumeigai is a weapon that can only be wield by the reaper king. This scythe is one of the sacred weapons used to stop the destruction of the world. Each race has its own sacred weapon that was passed down through the generations. Today is the day for the prince to become the new leader of his race and obtain Zetsumeigai. For you to be recognized as the new leader, you must swear a oath and make Zetsumeigai appear in its scythe form. For that to happen you must be a descendant of the previous leaders and first in line for the throne. After the senators were finished preaching, the prince made his oath.

Prince: I, Ysviel, swears to become the symbol of power for our race.

After Ysviel said his oath, the senator put the ring on the prince's finger.

Senator: Long live our new king!

Now all Ysviel has to do is summon the scythe from his ring in order to be accepted as the new reaper king. He concentrated his aura on the ring to summon it. But when his aura was in contact with the ring, the ring gave out a black spark that burned Ysviel. Ysviel was so confused that the pain from the burn did not faze him. He tried again, the ring reacted by giving another jolt of black lighting. But he did not give up, the more pressure he added to his aura, the more jolts of black lighting were created that ultimately burned his entire arm. When he finally felt the pain,he stopped and kneel on the floor breathing heavily. The cloths from the right side of his arm burned off and revealed black burns all over.

Noble: Wh-what's going on?

From the crowd, all the nobles are murmuring to each other.

Senator: Your highness, this could pose as a serious problem.

Ysviels face darkens, suddenly he stood up and looked at the senator with a piercing gaze.

Ysviel: Meet me in the conference room.

Then the prince walked out the throne room. The senators followed after him leaving all the noble's questions unanswered. In the conference room Ysviel is enraged.

Ysviel: What is the meaning of this! Am I not worthy of the throne!

Senator: Your highness, please calm yourself. We can assure that you are a direct descendant of the reaper kings.

Ysviel: Then why did Zetsumeigai rejected me. Senator...are you hiding something from me?

Ysviel looked at the senator with fierce eyes that means certain death if he lies. The senator was shaking and sweating a lot. But then he sighs and revealed the truth.

Senator: Your highness...the reason why it rejected you wasn't because you were unworthy. It was because you were only second in line to the throne.

Ysviel: Impossible! I am the only survivor of the chosen one, who else could there be?

Senator: As you know, your uncle was the previous reaper king. After he died and because your parents died as well, you were next in line for the throne. But there was a reason why the previous king died.

Ysviel: I already knew that, my uncle loved an angel and because of that he was assassinated.

Senator:...yes,at least that's what we told the public.

Ysviel: What are you saying?

Senator: Sixteen years ago, they secretly had a child. Though the child was unable to survive at birth. Both parents gave up their life in order to save her.

Ysviel: So you're saying, this cousin of mine is the one blocking me from the throne.

Senator: Yes...she is the rightful heir, but we do not approve because she has angel blood mixed within.

Ysviel: Is there anyway to find her whereabouts?

Senator: Well one of the reaper king's noble Silvashol was seen escaping the castle with the baby on that day.

Ysviel: So do you think that girl is still with him?

Senator: Certainly! Silvashol was very loyal to the king. I'm sure the king asked him to watch over his daughter and protect her.

Just then, Ysviel flashed a mischievous smiled.

Ysviel: Gather all the soldiers to search for Silva and find that girl, she is the only obstacle standing in my way towards the throne.