Chapter 50. Battle of the Swords pt. 1

On the day before the swords competition, we traveled to the Kingdom of Dawn. For the competition, Kuon, Zero, Sheele, Shion, Tidus, and Raine are participating. Even though Sloth also uses a sword, he can't participate because his sword needs to be longer than three feet. Sheele seems happy that Sloth isn't coming along but doesn't seem to like the fact that Zero is coming with us. Grandpa, Soren, Layhel, and Khione decided to come with us while everyone else stays home.

I can't believe I'm actually doing this, but this does has it's advantages. In town, I see many people carrying swords of all sizes and shapes. I'm guessing they're the participants for the competition. They all look strong but..I still hope Zero wins. The next day, we all got ready and head to the arena. I was forced to wear a black loli dress with uncomfortable shoes. Grandpa seems to be enjoying this.

Zelphine: (flustered) Why must I wear a dress?! The clothes I usually wear are just fine.

Luciano: Now now granddaughter, you have to look your best for the crowd. Besides, it totally suits you well. Right guys?

Kuon: (looks away) (blushing) (what the heck is wrong with me!)

Tidus: (thumbs up) Suits you just fine!

Khione: You look pretty Zelphine, just like a real princess.

Layhel: (feel proud) I guess that dress I pick was just made for you.

Everyone nodded in approval. I look towards Zero to see what he thinks.

Zero: (smile) It suits you well. (Ahh..I feel funny again.)

When Zero said that, I felt blood rush into my head and I became a bit red.

Zelphine: (blushing) Well..Ah, if you guys think it's alright then I might as well. But can I switch my shoes, it's hard to walk in them.

Luciano: Can't do that granddaughter, you need them to stand tall. Or else everyone will think that your a little kid.

Zelphine: (annoyed) I don't want to hear that from someone who looks just like one.

Since everyone else is looking around town, I decided to go to the arena first.

Zelphine: Grr...stupid lady stilts!-Whoa!

I tripped on my high heels and began to fall but before I did, someone caught me.

?? Man: Are you alright?

The man that helped me had a long strand of gray hair on the back and gray clothing. His eyes were closed and his sword is curved like a snake.

Zelphine: Thank for helping me there.

?? Man: You shouldn't wear shoes that are going to make you fall. It's not safe.

Zelphine: Yeah, I was sorta forced to. So are you entering the swords competition?

?? Man: Indeed I am.

Zelphine: Um...

?? Man: Hm? What is it?

Zelphine: Why are your eyes closed, Is it because you're blind?

?? Man: It's not that I'm blind, but I must not look at the world.

Zelphine: Then how do you get from place to place?

?? Man: I have an extraordinary sense of hearing and I am naturally able to sense my surroundings. It's the same way a snake uses it's tongue to feel its surroundings.

Just then, I saw little grayish girl coming towards us. She had two long silver ponytails and a iron clad of armor on her arms and legs. She was also holding a sword with a long blade on top and a short blade on bottom.

?? Girl: Shiki, hurry up, we'll be late....who's she?

Shiki: Just a passerby. C'mon Uriel, let's go. We don't want to be late for the competition. Anyway, it was nice meeting you, whoever you are.

Then they left without me even saying my name. Oh well, I'll be seeing him very soon. After that, I head to the arena. At the front, The miester greeted me with a sly smile. When I saw it, I felt the urge to punch him again.

Miester: Glad you can make it princess! You look gorgeous as usual.

Zelphine: I don't want to hear that from you.

Miester: Well anyway. Why don't you take a seat at the balcony while I get this competition started.

After that, I went to sit at the balcony. Up here, you can see the entire arena. Kuon and the other Swordsmen were gathered at the arena field. Grandpa, Khione, and Layhel are sitting at the stands watching all of them. Then, I saw the miester holding a microphone and walk to the middle of the field.

Miester: (loud amplified voice) Good evening ladies and gentle men!! I am the Miester and I will be the host for the the 21 annual swords world wide competition!!

The crowd roared loudly.

Miester: (loud amplified voice) As you know, this is a competition held every 50 years to see who is the best Swordsmen in the world! The rules are simple, there will be a five round elimination with a one on one match. There will also be a five minute time limit and three ways to win. To win, you can either knock out your opponent, make them drop their sword, or when your opponent gives up. Don't worry about it if anyone gets injured. We have a highly skilled medical team right here in case of emergencies. Now the winner will received three special prizes. One is the title of Sword Emperor, next is a prize money of 150 gold, and finally what you've all been waiting for. A kiss from the fair princess of the Soul Kingdom. May I introduce the King of Reapers, Zelphine!!

All eyes were on me as they clapped and cheered, I nervously smile and wave at them. I'm just really not used to attention.

Miester: (loud amplified voice) Today, it seems that about 124 Swordsmen from all around the world are participating. Since we don't want this to go on all day, let's cut the number to 32.

The miester took off his hat and reached into it. He then shuffle around and pulled out a blue light screen sphere. It then grew to the size of a basketball and floated in the air.

Miester: (loud amplified voice) What you see here is called a power sphere. Once you attack it, it measure how strong your powers is in numerical digits from 1-1000. To not spoil the fight, we won't show you the numbers of each person and the top 32 highest scores will be participating in the 5 round elimination. Well, give it your all and let's get started!

One by one, the swordsman each attacked the blue sphere. When a samurai with black hair tied to a pony tail went, people became uneasy.

Swordsman 1: Hey, isn't that guy named Hatsu.

Swordsman 2: Yeah, I think he is. I heard that 50 years ago, he was evenly matched with the last sword emperor. He almost won too!

Swordsman 1: Oh boy, he's going to be tough to beat.

After 10 minutes everyone has gone. The miester then puts the blue sphere into his hat and then shakes it. He then grabs what's inside of it and throws it into the air. Up above, a writing appeared out of thin air and wrote the match ups of the 32 people. It seems that Zero and the others are all in it. Phew, what a relief.