Chapter 73. Two-faced Lie

As I began to fall, I tried to grabbed onto the side of the wall but my hand slipped and gravity continue to dragged me down. I prepared for the impact of the hard floor but instead, I landed on something soft, white, and...fluffy? When I open my eyes, I saw Soren in front of me holding a wand that looks like a clock hand. When I look down, I saw that I had landed on a soft pillow like cloud.

Zelphi: Oh hey Soren, I see you fell down too. Anyway, thanks for saving me.

Soren was silent, he was staring at my ring with a deadpan (emotionless) expression.

Zelphi: By the way, where did you get that clock hand from?

Soren: (deadpan).....

Zelphi: Um..Soren?

Soren: It's nothing, come reaper king.

Just like that, Soren turned around and started walking, I automatically followed him. This is strange, why is Soren acting like this? And also..why is he calling me "reaper king", Soren never calls me that.

Zelphi: So um..where are we going?

Soren: (deadpan)....

Zelphi: (why is he ignoring me!)

Just then, Soren whistled. When he did, a blue canary flew in and perched onto his shoulder. It happily chirped and nuzzled him.

Soren: Su, did you find them...I see, show me the way.

The canary gave a happy chirp before flying off, we followed the bird Soren named Su.

Zelphi: Hey, I've never seen you with a blue bird before. How long have you had it.

Soren: Do not concern yourself with it reaper king.

Just like that, Soren continue to walk again. He seems more distant than usual, more quiet, serious, and why is he being so emotionless? As we were walking, I tried to talk with him but he ignores me each time.

Zelphi: Hey Soren..where are we going? Are we looking for the others?

Soren: (deadpan)....

Zelphi: By the way, why are you dressed differently? Your clothes look different from the one you had on a second ago. Why is your right hand bandaged and also, what's with the clock hand.You seem to use it like a wand, what happen to your books. I always see you carry around a few spell books.Y'know, like Cyclone and Tempest. I actually saw you carrying around another book called-

Soren: (stops walking) Quiet...

Zelphi: Wha-!!

Soren then covered my mouth before I can say another word. He then dragged me behind a rubble wall.

Soren: (quietly) Shhh....(points ahead) look...

I looked ahead and saw a group of shady people gathering around a large magic circle that has glyphs in between them.

Zelphi: Wha- what are they doing, who are they?

Soren: Summoners...they are the ones who've been opening the portals all around the land.

Zelphi: Huh? But didn't you say it was caused by Zephiel's uprising?

Soren: It is...look closer.

I did as I was instructed. I look closely at one of the summoners and saw a familiar tattoo on his neck.

Soren: Did you see the mark? Those summoners are under Zephiel's influence. They come to the ruins once a week in order to perform a ritual and open portals all around the magic land. I have a way to reverse the seal and closed all the portals in this land. All I need you to do is distract them. Now go and cause a disturbance...I'll be waiting right here.