Chapter 67. Truth within Lies...Lies within Truth

Once we arrived at the dark kingdom, everything was not what I had expected. It looked rather normal. I was thinking it would look the same as it would in the demon land. But here, it was nothing scary and the towns look the same everywhere else besides the fact that some people are traveling on a floating broom.

Soren says that this kingdom is mostly inhabited by witches, wizards, and black magic users. Because black magic is a forbidden art, the other savants are wary of them and tend to stay away from the dark kingdom. Soren guides us towards a castle in the middle of the woods. The whole place was cover in vines but it still looked very pretty.

Soren: This place hasn't changed a bit.

Zelphine: Huh? You've been here before?

Soren: Yes, I traveled here once to learn black magic. It was powerful but I prefer not to use it.

Kuon: And why is that?

Soren: Using black magic comes with a price. It is very dangerous so it's uncommon for people to learn this magic. But for the savants that do, they receive unimaginable power with painful side effects.

Khione: How bad is it?

Soren: It depends. The side effects range from immense pain, to a loss of something whether it's an eye or memory. In worse case scenarios, you can die. But that's only if you use the forbidden magics. The ordinary black magic is safe with nothing lost.

Zelphine: Then you should've told us that from the start!

After that, we knocked on the door. Since no one answered, we went in. It's strange, no one is here. As we pass through the halls, we all heard a eerie giggle from a girl.

Girl: Heeheeheehee...

Kuon: (startled) Hey! Did you guys hear something?!

Zelphine: What, you scared?

Kuon: Of course not! I'm a demon, why would I be afraid?! But I thought I just heard someone laugh.

Soren: Oh, I forgot to tell you something. Witches like to play tricks on people? Sometimes they hex you and if you really tick them off, they'll curse you. You might want to be careful.

After that, I kept my eyes open for anything suspicious. We arrive at a door at the end of the hall. I turn the knob and open it but then suddenly, a large red boxer fist shot out at me.

Zero: Look out!

Zero dragged me out of the way and the red boxer glove missed and it started to dangle. We then heard a echoing laughter.

Girl: (echoing) Heeheeheeheeheehee...

Zero: (smile) This is quite dangerous, you should be careful and stay close to me.

Zelphine: (blush) Y-Yeah..

After that, dangerous things happen one after another as if this place was haunted. One moment we were walking on solid floor and in the next, we were falling into a spike trap. Good thing Soren lifted us up with his wind. Then there was a huge boulder rolling down the narrow hall and we had to run. The creepy portraits blinked with their eyes and came out of the paintings. It chased us and we ran. While we are running, a girl's voice was laughing uncontrollably.

Girl: (uncontrollably) Heeheeheeheehee!!!

Zelphine: (angry) That's it! Come out, I've had enough of your games!

Suddenly, dozens of dark figures formed in front of us. They were gargoyles that were 5 ft tall with beady red eyes, large wingspans, and rough grey skin.