EIGHT

Huge problems start out as little things

You probably don't think that anything would ever come out of Amira and Annika's little academic competition. You probably don't think anything would come of Ahmed's temper either or Zehan and Dele's hatred for each other.

Even in the scriptures, we are told that everyone would be held accountable for their actions. The same is applicable here.

I write like this because I've seen the end of all of it and it isn't happily ever after. There's always something to regret in the end.

Being perfect wasn't the solution, but being careful of what we did, what we said, how we laughed, every smirk, every snicker, every glare, every eye roll, how we made others feel. We should've paid attention to these things from the start.

In the end, you might want to ask, "Who is to be blamed?"

Of course, you already know the answer to that.

Was it all worth it? No.

Did our decisions make anything better? No.

Did we end up scaring ourselves? Probably.

As we move on, it's only fair that we look at the only beginning we have; when things were a lot better and probably when things started to get out of hand.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

ONE YEAR EARLIE

With the amount of noise and laughter that came from the Akindele residence, one would think there were people high on drugs who had moved in, but the only thing Dele, Kasy, Zehan and Adam were high on was the happiness of finally being on summer vacation.

Zehan and Adam sat shirtless on the ground with a board game of ludo in between them. Adam raised his hands in the air when he'd won for the fifth time and Zehan shook his head.

Dele and Kasy were supposed to be watering the flowers in the large garden but had decided it was much more fun to chase each other around with the water hosts. Kasy was the first to get miserably wet.

With Kasy's screaming, Dele's laughter, Adam's joyful noise anytime he won and Zehan shouting about being cheated, to an outsider, it would sound like a mini party.

Zehan and Adam had abandoned their board game after they'd heard a huge splash coming from the other corner of the house. Just as they'd suspected,
Dele had thrown Kasy and himself into the large pool.