THREE

Our story is still at its starting point

Our story is still at its starting point. There are some people you haven't met. Are they important?

Well, it depends.

Adam Somoye is one of them and another person you might want to look closely into. Why? Because he's the only one who knew Zehan Essien well and just like me, he was supposed to be a nobody in this story.

Unfortunately, being nobodies didn't make us innocent. Like I said before, we all did things we weren't proud of. Most of us acted on our teenage hormones and others like Zehan wanted to get back at the world for one reason or the other.

You'd soon find out that those who acted on the so-called hormones would turn out to be the worse.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Adam hated the early mornings when he'd have to walk to school through the busy routes of the middle ring.

The only good thing about living in the middle ring was the fact that the noises the delivery vehicles made as early as 5 AM were enough to wake the students and those who had to get to work early up. It served as their alarm.

Newland Estate was one of the popular and most populous estates in the city of Abuja. Due to its landmass, many considered it to be a town of its own and had gone ahead to label the different parts of the estate.

The upper ring of Newland was the farthest area from the large entrance gates of the estate. It was usually very quiet and deserted because only bungalows, duplexes, and mansions could be found there. In other words, only the wealthy and comfortable resided there.

The middle ring could be described as the business center of the estate. Here, offices, supermarkets and other retail stores could be found. The only thing the middle ring lacked was a market. Nevertheless, a few six-story buildings stood amongst the numerous office buildings and retail stores. These flats were mainly occupied by residents who owned one store or the other.

The lower ring would be the first area to be seen when entering Newland Estate and the first set of buildings one would see would be Newland Secondary and Primary Schools on one side of the road.

The lower ring harboured other significant places such as Brown & Brown Recreational Center and Sports Club and The Living Word Assembly Church but amidst all these notable places, a lot of people seemed to reside within the area. These were mostly low-income earners and bachelors who lived in the bungalows that had been built as communal houses.

Asides from the fact that Adam had to avoid getting hit by cars and delivery trucks that usually came to deliver goods to the retail sellers as early as 6 AM, he also had to walk fast enough to avoid the street boys that normally called out to him. Twice already that week, they'd tried to get him to smoke.