THIRTY EIGHT

Like a child expecting a Christmas present from parents and relatives, we sometimes hoped for the best—even when Christmas was still far away

But there's one thing about hope, though.

It begets misery. They didn't tell you?

Well now you know.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

M O N D A Y

Marshall Hotels was right next to the Abuja National Stadium where the Olympics would take place. It was very convenient for the participants.

Dele took a minute in the car after the driver had parked right in front of the hotel. If he was being totally honest with himself, he didn't feel like stepping out.

"Do you want me to drive in?" asked the driver who was looking at him through the rear view mirror.

"No, thank you," Dele mumbled back, still looking out the window. He heaved a sigh before proceeding to opening the door and stepping out of the vehicle. John did the same.

John opened the boot and handed Dele his bags.

"Please, remind Martha to feed Scott and Stiles," Dele said to the driver. John nodded, wished Dele good luck and proceeded to get into the car and drive off.

It was almost 9 PM already. Dele didn't plan on arriving so late but he was surprised he even made it at all. Anyway, it was time to put up that smile of his and act like all was well.

Marshall Hotels was massive. Buildings upon buildings made up the place and it was all exquisite. The first three sets of tower looking buildings formed a semicircle facing the massive gate and the big water fountain in the middle was magnificent. At night, the place was brightly lit by yellow neon lights and it was beautiful.

Dele would've stayed back to admire it if only he wasn't wondering how he was going to find his friends. He thought of calling Enock to come out and meet him but he thought against it, deciding to meet the receptionist first.

He flashed the young receptionist a smile and told her that he was there for the sports competition. She gladly gave him directions on how to find the area with the rooms for the boys, returning his smile as well.

Dele thanked her and proceeded to follow her directions. It wasn't surprising that the boys and girls would be separated. Dele was sure they wouldn't even be staying on the same floor.

He called Enock as soon as he arrived on the third floor—just like the receptionist had directed him—to know what room they were in.

Surprisingly, there was no one in the corridor, everywhere was quiet and he wondered why his classmates weren't being the mad people they were by running the lengths and breaths of the hotel. But then, he had to remind himself that they'd arrived since morning, they'd had enough time to go crazy and everyone was probably just chilling in their rooms now.