THIRTY NINE

Never underestimate the power of someone who has been hurt. Someone who has lost it all and has nothing to forfeit. Someone whose mind is clouded by vengeance and thirst for blood.

People like that were ticking time bombs.

And they were ready to blow everything up with them.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Kasy wasn't sure how long she'd stood there, rooted to the ground but it was all too much to comprehend. She couldn't wrap her head around what had just happened.

Casper had been ignoring her messages for days and now he was going to act like he didn't know her? Why would he do that? Why would he just ignore her the way he did?

Technically, he didn't ignore her. He nodded her way but for someone who she had been texting with for weeks, you'd expect more than just a nod.

Dele on the other hand didn't know if he should burst out laughing or feel sorry for Kasy. If the dude actually knew who Kasy was then he'd done a good job at snobbing the hell out of her. But given everything that had happened over the weekend and that being the first time they were seeing eye to eye and speaking since she came to his house, he couldn't find it in himself to feel amused at that moment, he wasn't that heartless.

And besides, maybe Casper had face recognition issues or something like that.

The music in the basketball court had been replaced with someone's voice over the microphone, probably one of the Nero officials.

"Let's go inside," Dele said to Kasy who seemed to still be in shock.

They walked slowly in silence till they go to the indoor court entrance where a few Newland and Castron students alike where still hanging around. It was there that they saw a few Castron High school girls who had cornered CJ and seemed to be...flirting with him?

"Hey, my name is Winnie," the girl who seemed to be the leader of the gang introduced herself, eying the boy in front of her like he was candy. Her friends giggled behind her.

Without saying anything, CJ walked past them and into the hall. Nothing surprising there. And besides, he looked uncomfortable.

Winnie did not look happy. She must've felt insulted with the way she scoffed and catwalked into the hall as well with her disciples trailing behind.

On the right side of the hall, Castron had taken their position in all their multitude. On the left side, a lot of Newland students seemed to settling down.

"Welcome, welcome everybody," the man on the small podium adjacent to the court said in the mic. "Please take your seats and let's begin."

"Can you believe Shade didn't come?" Tari appeared out of nowhere before Kasy could get a seat. Somehow, Dele had disappeared without her knowing.

What she couldn't understand was why Tari had been all over her since they got there. Why wasn't she with Amira? Weren't they besties?

"Like, they said she's not even coming at all. I'm just so angry right now," Tari continued, now leading the way up the stairs to a vacant seat, hopefully. "I mean, if she's not coming then what the hell am I doing here? I should have just stayed at home!"

"You can still go home if you want." Kasy didn't know what else to say to Tari. She was too busy thinking about what has happened with Casper to be invested in any conversation.

"And miss out a chance to get married to Ivandor Fejaun? Not happening," Tari said with all seriousness which would've made Kasy laugh if she was in a better mood.