TWENTY TWO

Let's face it: there are simply some wounds that refuse to heal

Let's face it: there are simply some wounds that refuse to heal. We go around with demons of the past too.

How do you heal wounds and how do you get rid of your demons?

I didn't know the answer to that but one thing I knew for sure was that wounded people end up wounding others and people carrying demons for too long end up becoming those demons.

A musician once said, '...and it's hard to dance with the devil on your back.'

But what if you were already used to the devil's music?

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

CJ stood to his feet and walked out without saying a word to Kasy. She couldn't even read the expression on his face but she was almost sure of what she had said. His reaction to the accusation was supposed to determine if her theory was right.

"What makes you think so?" Ms. Isong had asked Kasy after she'd told her what she thought.

"He's the last person you would suspect," Kasy replied before she even thought about what she was saying.

"So?" Ms. Isong shrugged. "This is not a murder mystery we're trying to solve. I believe whoever it is is lying in plain sight and it's not CJ. I would know if it was him."

"I've crossed out everyone else."

"Everyone?"

"Everyone who's likely..."

"I'll talk with CJ later. You can go." Ms. Isong dismissed Kasy and she left the staffroom, leaving the teacher to ponder on what she had said. Could it be CJ? If it was him she'd know, right?

Kasy ran into Dele in the crowded passage. It looked like he was heading to the infirmary. He'd totally pretended like the kiss didn't happen since the previous week. She didn't want to take note of the fact that he had been avoiding her. She just wished that he would at least remember that he'd kissed her first—something she'd been waiting all her life for. And now he was treating her the same way he treated his pending house chores.

"Dele!" She called out to him as he was about to open the door and head into the infirmary. Kasy didn't have any idea what he would he doing there. He seemed to have bought a lot of food too.

She ran up to him after he paused at the door. "I sent you messages during the weekend. We need to start getting ready for our debate." They weren't kids anymore. They both knew that they had more important pending issues to address than the project they'd been paired for.