SIXTEEN

Crazy people everywhere

Doing crazy things.

Sure, the school was messed up, the authorities were fucked up and the students were in need of a psychiatric evaluation but all in all, Newland Secondary looked good from the outside. That's why it was difficult to see the chaos generated from the place.

If only they knew. If only we knew, we wouldn't have done some certain things.

Things like letting Zehan Essien and Charles Elias come back to school.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

"This shouldn't be an issue, I don't want any problems escalating from Charles's return," Mr. Johnson emphasized as though he knew that was exactly what was going to happen. "After thorough investigation and delegations by the school board, the authorities deemed it necessary to revoke Mr. Elias' expulsion."

Murmurs of 'just like that?' and 'how come?' took over the once silent and orderly class.

"This man is just speaking too much English," Sola mumbled to Enock who was next to her, "simple, you brought him back because he's the principal's son, you're here capping nonsense," Sola said as though the Vice Principal could hear her talking to him.

Mrs. Elias stood next to her son but unlike him, she was boldly looking everyone and anyone who dared throw a questioning glare at her in the eye. Charles on the other hand thought that the tiles looked cleaner than the last time he'd seen them.

Zehan met Mrs. Elias' glare on him and he could've sworn his heart froze for a moment but he didn't look away, instead, he gave her a doze of her own medicine. Was it a glaring contest she wanted? That's what she'd get.

Zehan knew the principal didn't like him and that she was suspecting him of having something to do with the drugs found in her son's bag. Granted, he had subtly threatened her and revealed to her that her son did drugs on his first day back so she had every reason on the planet to point accusing fingers at him. He knew she would do anything to get rid of him especially since he knew that she'd taken that bribe from his mother the previous year.

To his defense, Zehan had never lied about Charles doing drugs and it had never been his intention to frame him. Zehan knew Charles was a stoner, same went for Enock Sakala and Dele and Ahmed who smoked weed occasionally and CJ Ikem being their usual dealer. Zehan knew all these things. Nothing fazed him anymore.

"Why is she looking at you like that?" Adam whispered to Zehan as the Vice Principal's voice could still be heard in the background.