TWO

Every story has a beginning- a starting point, but this one doesn't

Every story has a beginning- a starting point, but this one doesn't. You might think you'd started from the beginning but it's far from it. And to be honest, no one knows the beginning. No one can actually say when things began to get so messed up. Or maybe, everyone was always messed up.

Like I said, everyone thought they were one thing or the other even before the story started and although some of us were trying to become something, I guess I was trying to get by.

We all did things we weren't proud of, either because we were trying to have fun or because we were simply acting on our teenage hormones. So it will be fair, as you continue to with this story of ours, try not to judge us.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Ms. Isong couldn't deny the fact that CJ was actually good looking young man but he obviously needed to take care of himself more.

Still standing at the class entrance, the young lad tried as much as possible to avoid every eye contact especially when Ms. Isong was casting her judgemental gaze on him. CJ hated being judged. He hated the fact that people got to assume stuff about his life when they didn't know him.

"Why are you this late? It's past nine." He heard the young lady's strident voice once more and that made him avert his gaze and blink a few times but he never looked up to meet her eyes.

"I..." He trailed off, knowing that whatever excuse he was going to give-true or false-would always sound stupid to anyone who wasn't in his shoes. CJ knew people never cared about other people's problems-not genuinely. He never bothered sharing his baggage with any living being because he knew that they would only tell him how they had it worse and do little to nothing in helping him.

"I woke up late." He ended up saying and Esther didn't know exactly what to say. She highly doubted the fact that he'd woken up late but there was nothing she could do about it. Besides, disciplining latecomers wasn't exactly one of the things she'd planned on doing on her first day.

"What did you say your name was?" This time, Ms. Isong approached CJ slowly, and in turn, the skinny boy took two steps back and she had to stop in her tracks because she was starting to get worried that CJ would run out of the classroom if she'd decided to take one more step. At that point, CJ was only confusing the young lady.

Since CJ never replied to her question, Ms. Isong sighed and took another look at how rough and tattered the boy was looking and felt like she wouldn't be doing her job properly if she didn't ask him to fix himself. "Could you at least tuck in your shirt?"

"Teacher, you're just wasting your time, he'll show up tomorrow looking worse." Tari, the overactive girl with too much lip gloss spoke up again and all heads turned to her including Ms. Isong who thought the girl should learn to mind her business.