THIRTY FOUR

Things would begin to make sense only for them to get worse.

Everyone wanted the truth but no one could handle it. The ultimate truth was: nothing was black and white. And most times, no one was completely right or completely wrong.

Sometimes the truth would hit you like a bulldozer.

Did you want the truth?

Then get ready to come crumbling down.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

NINE MONTHS EARLIER

Dele couldn't take it anymore, he asked Kasy to step away from the door. He went back and slammed his feet against the metal doors a few times before it bulged with a thundering sound as it swung open.

The duo immediately ran inside.

But it was already too late.

Only one man was standing.

It seemed like the world was spinning as they all stood at the rooftop, or maybe it was just the chilly wind.

Kasy had seen it, right after the doors and swung open, she'd seen Zehan push the other boy standing at the edge. At that moment as she slowly walked to the edge and looked down, looking at a lifeless Ismael in his pool of blood, Adam a feet away from the body, screaming, her head was spinning and she stepped back.

She couldn't even say anything. Dele had been the one doing all the yelling.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Dele was holding onto Zehan by the collar. Rage was the only thing visible in Dele's eyes. Zehan tried to push him off but his efforts were fruitless. "What the fuck is wrong with you, Zehan! Why did you push him!"

"Adam! Check if he's breathing!" Kasy yelled down at Adam who stood beside the body in shock after she found her voice. Adam was standing in front of the building when Ismael came falling. Kasy could only imagine.

Adam was shaking but didn't move an inch towards Ismael.

"Adam! Adam!" Kasy kept shouting his name. He could hear her but he was just standing there staring at the pool of blood grow bigger and bigger.

"I didn't push him! Leave me alone!" Zehan yelled back.

"You're a mad person!"

"Let me go!"

"Adam! Adam!"

Wham! A slap.

"Adam! Adam!"

"Bastard! Let me go, now!"

"You're a psycho!"

"Adam!"

Adam finally looked up with bloodshot, glassy eyes. He was still shaking. "His head is cracked open!" he snapped and Kasy's heart stopped.

She turned around and pushed past Zehan and Dele who already seemed to be in a fight. Zehan broke free from Dele and ran after Kasy. Dele followed suit.

In no time, four people were staring at Ismael's body. Kasy looked around to see if there was possibly still anyone in school that could help them. Adam looked like he would start crying blood any moment. Dele watched the creamy, thick substance that seeped out of the side of Ismael's head-his brain.

Zehan's breath hitched. He couldn't breathe anymore.

Kasy was able to get the school security officer but that was the last thing she remembered happening before the sound of the ambulance and Monica Essien's deafening wailing brought her back to reality.