Sweet Dreams (Ethan Slater/Male! Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, everyone! I'm back in the writing game. I apologize for my unexpected hiatus. 2020 took a huge toll on me, and 2021 hasn't started off to a good start either. I'm trying to push through and continue to write. Thank you guys so much for your patience. It honestly means the world to me. 

This is a request from zanderlancer

Ironically, this request was about sleeping and nightmares and I wrote this at 2 AM. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this!

___________________________________________

     I shifted in bed as my dream flashed in my head. I was in a weird state between being awake and being asleep, which seemingly fueled my dream. It became more vivid.

     There I was. Standing alone in the living room. It was silent. There wasn't an inkling of sound. If a pin was to drop all the way up from the second floor, I'd be able to hear it.

     It was cold. Freezing. I could feel the surrounding atmosphere. Heavy pressure weighed me down as I took a step forward.

     The wooden floor creaked beneath my foot, echoing through the house. I slowly walked towards the stairs and looked up into the horrid darkness. I hoped to see something. Just a sign of life. Someone to say, "Don't worry, you're safe". But there was nobody there.

     A dark abyss stared back at me as I hesitated to take a step.

     "Hello?" I called out. I stood at the bottom of the stairs and listened. There was no answer. I slowly started to walk up the stairs. The hair on my arms stood up as goosebumps spread across my body, sending a shiver down my spine.

     "Hello? Ethan? Are you here?" I asked.

     I stopped at the top of the stairs.

     Why does this feel so real? I could have sworn this was a dream.

     My hand reached out in the darkness, looking for the light switch. I was in my house after all; it shouldn't be a problem to find the switch I turn on every day.

     My hand slid across the wall, desperately searching for the light switch. It wasn't there.

     "Damn it," I mumbled.

     My hands began to feel clammy as my anxiety started to rise. I took another step forward but was quickly brought to a halt.

     A pair of strong hands abruptly gripped my shoulders. Their nails dug into my back as they pulled me closer. I yelped as my body was pulled forward. My footing on the ground was gone as I was lifted up onto my toes. A pair of glowing red eyes peered into mine. "Wake up," the creature whispered.

     All of a sudden I was thrown backwards and began tumbling down the stairs. My body hit the bottom of the stairs causing me to jump up gasping for breath in my bed.

     "Whoa, (Y/N), are you okay?" I heard a familiar voice say. I heard the faint click of the lamp being turned on. Ethan sat up in bed beside me.

     I took a deep breath and glanced around the room. My heart felt as if it was beating out of my chest. "I...I'm fine, babe," I said. "Are you sure? You look a little spooked," he said as he put his hand on the small of my back, rubbing small circles. "I just had a nightmare," I said, "It was just weird. I'm fine, I promise," I reassured him.

     Ethan was buying it, though. My chest still heaved and my heart was still beating at an alarming rate. He wrapped his arm around me as we both sunk back into the bed.

     He turned slightly and wrapped both of his arms around me. His hand traced up and down my arm. "What was it about?" he asked quietly. I hummed, completely distracted by the comfort of my partner. "What?" I asked as I closed my eyes. "The nightmare. What was it about?" he asked again.

     "I'm not sure. I was here in the house. It was creepy. It was dark and quiet. I went upstairs in the dream and somebody grabbed me and threw me back down," I explained. I nuzzled closer into Ethan's chest. I automatically felt more protected and safe. The warmth of Ethan and the covers was a drastic contrast to the coldness of my nightmare.

     My eyes fluttered back open and looked up at Ethan. Instead of red glowing eyes, I was met with beautiful, comforting brown eyes that reminded me of the sweetest chocolate.

     Ethan pulled me even closer, leaving no space between us. He placed a gentle kiss on my lips and that's when I realized what my nightmare was about.

     Everything about my nightmare was the exact opposite of Ethan and what he brought into my life. My nightmare had been filled with silence, darkness, and the cold. But Ethan brought light into my life. He filled silence with laughter and music. His love warmed my heart and everyone he would meet. He was kind and could make anyone smile.

     I pulled away from the kiss and looked into Ethan's eyes. I brought my hand up and placed it on the side of his face, cradling it in my hand. "I love you so much," I whispered.

     A smile spread across his face. He took my hand and placed a gentle kiss on my knuckles before pulling me back into his embrace. "I love you too, (Y/N)," he said.

     He reached back over to the lamp and turned it off before bringing me back to his arms. "Sweet dreams," he said.

___________________________________________

Author's Note: And that's it! I hope you guys enjoyed it! Sorry if it was too short. See you in the next chapter!