Sink or Swim (Ethan Slater/Reader)

Author's Note: Here's a little Ethan Slater oneshot. I cant remember if someone requested it or not. Oh well.

The reader an Ethan have an established relationship. I wrote this all the way back in 2017 and I'm writing this note in 2021, so my memory of writing this is foggy. I don't know what past me was trying to get at with this oneshot.

Fandom: Broadway

_______________________________

"

So there's a showing tonight at 7:00 and I believe there's another a little after 9:00. Is that right, Ethan?" I heard Danny ask Ethan, who was pulling his yellow vest over his white button up.

"Yeah," Ethan said as he pulled his red tie out from the vest.

"I'll watch the one at 7:00 if I can come backstage afterwards," I said, sitting up from Danny's makeup chair.

It was the opening night of Spongebob Squarepants the Musical and I showed up to support my friends Ethan and Danny. Ethan was a great actor, but I could see the nervousness on his face.

"I can't believe this happening," Ethan breathed out, looking into the mirror in front of him.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, making him jump a little. He ruffled the yellow wig on his head which was covering his bright red hair.

"Don't be nervous," I whispered.

He nodded and took a deep breath. I could blame him. I had only been on Broadway as a backup dancer, never as a popular cartoon character.

He started to sing the lyrics to the opening song. His voice barley reached a whisper.

"Good morning world...and all who inhabit it. Jump out of bed, mix up a breakfast for my favorite pet snail."

He started to hum the tune. He was so nervous. It slightly worried me.

"Ethan calm down," I said.

He looked at me, then to Dan.

"I just...I can't believe this. My dreams...they're coming true," Ethan said.

I hugged him and he instantly fell into the hug.

"You have no idea how happy I am for you," I said.

He pulled back and looked into my eyes. He pushed my (H/C) off of my shoulder.

"I'm just glad I'm getting to spend this moment with you," he said.

He pulled me back into a hug and I felt Danny hug me from the other side.

"Alright, Mr. Squarepants. Are you ready?" I asked after I realized it was time for them to go on stage.

He took the opportunity to do the iconic Spongebob laugh and then said, "I'm ready!" in a cheerful voice.

Danny left to get into his position on stage. I walked behind Ethan, escorting him to the stage. He went down a few of the stairs to the stage before stopping.

"C'mon, Ethan. Before you're late," I said, standing on a step higher than him.

"Can I ask you something first?" Ethan asked as he turned around.

"Of course," I said.

"(Y/N), you've been there for me forever. Honestly, I don't think I'd be here without you. And...I don't want to be here without you," Ethan said.

"(Y/N), will you..." Ethan knelt down on the stair below me. He pulled out a small black box from his shorts.

"Will you please marry me, (Y/N)?" he asked.

A tear rolled down my face as I cupped my mouth with my hands. I frantically nodded, finally putting my hand out for him to put on the ring.

"Yes, Ethan," I whispered.

He stood up, hugging me. I stepped stepped down and kissed him.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you, too."

__________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

I know this sucks. Tell me what you think. I'm also sorry for how short these next few updates are going to be. Don't hate me for my slow updates, just yell at me in the comments. Love you guys! Bye for now.