CHAPTER 78

BO-YOUNG

Before we even notice it, New Year's Eve comes. After Jungkook managed to pull himself out of bed after sleeping for an additional four hours, we began preparing the house for our guests. Of course, in these circumstances, "preparing the house" simply means emptying the necessary boxes, moving the rest into secluded rooms, and setting the snack table.

I look at the time. It's half-past seven in the evening; there's only half an hour before Jimin estimated he'd arrive.

Unpacking the boxes took a surprisingly long time. Between moving furniture around the house, deliberating where each object will go, and taking time off to eat, Jungkook and I haven't had the chance to relax. I wipe a droplet of sweat off my brow, looking at the progress I've made.

The kitchen looks much more homely with all the appliances from the old apartment. I smile, satisfied.

"Hey, Bo-young," Jungkook calls from the living room. "Could you come here for a second?"

I make my way to the living room, where I find Jungkook digging through an unmarked box.

"Yes?" I say, getting his attention.

Jungkook clears his throat and assumes an exaggerated announcer voice.

"New Year's celebrations are starting, and there are no decorations. What a tragedy!" he begins. "Has this ever happened to you?"

He raises his eyebrows at me, expecting me to answer. I chuckle and decide to play along, assuming an equally exaggerated voice.

"Yes, it has! It currently is happening to me! Pray tell, whatever shall I do?" I say, feigning distraught. Jungkook grins, but it only lasts for a second before he covers it up and continues his cheesy pitch.

"What if I told you that there's an easy solution? What if I told you there's only a small price to pay? Come closer," he says intriguingly, urging me to take a few steps towards him. He closes the distance and cups my face with his hands, leaning close to my face and staring intensely into my eyes. "Do you want to know what the price is?"

I nod.

His voice drops to a low whisper.

"Angering the gods," he says. I look at him, confused.

He notices this, his eyes glinting with familiar mischief. He places a quick peck on my nose before letting go of my face, retreating to the cardboard box he was rummaging through and leaving me frozen and flustered.

He dumps the contents of the box onto the floor, a mess of Christmas decorations spilling out.

"No. No. Jungkook, no," I say as I snap out of my daze. "I don't want the holiday gods to smite me."

He tilts his head.

"I see where you're coming from, but thin about it, a little bit of repurposed tinsel would make it so much more festive," he reasons.

I sigh. "You're right. How much tinsel do we have?"

Jungkook collects all the tinsel he can find and holds it up.

"It should be enough to decorate the living room and kitchen," I say as I size it up.

Jungkook and I are almost done decorating when we hear a knock on the front door.

"Jungkook, could you get the door while I-" I begin, but I pause. I look to the floor, where I had left the last sizeable pile of silver tinsel. It's gone. "Jungkook where's the last pile of tinsel?" I ask, looking over to him as he emerges from the stairway.