·CHAPTER 16·

(AN: another sneaking out plot has been removed in the re-write. There will be continuity errors in the next few chapters. There will be a quote from the original chapter with the necessary context. It will be removed once the next few chapters are re-written.)

BO-YOUNG

I watch the clock slowly tick towards five-thirty as I sit on the plump bed, fully dressed and presentable. At precisely half-past five, I hear the door unlock—it's safe to assume that's Jungkook. He knocks on my door before peeking in.

"Hey, Bo-young. Glad to see you're awake," he says, smiling despite looking weary from work. "The guests are coming in now. Come out and meet them when you're ready."

He disappears back into the living room, closing the door as he leaves. In the next room, I can hear more people enter—around two people if I'm not mistaken. I press myself against the door and listen carefully. Faintly, hear someone sniffing the air.

"Jungkook, is she a bunny hybrid?" I hear one of his friends ask. His voice is lively and exceedingly friendly, and he has an unmistakably sharp nose. He must be the bear hybrid Jungkook told me about.

"Yeah, she'll be out in a moment," I hear Jungkook answer.

"I've never met a bunny hybrid before!" the bear hybrid exclaims excitedly.

Gingerly, I crack the door open and step out, deciding to stop eavesdropping. There, standing in the living room, I see the bear hybrid. If not for the two round ears atop his head, I might not have been able to recognize him as a bear hybrid. He's tall and lean, with a long face adorned with a sunny grin—nothing like the burly and grim bear I had in mind.

"Hi, I'm Hoseok!" he greets with unwavering enthusiasm.

"Uh, hi. I'm-" I begin, but in his excitement, he cuts me off.

"Jungkook told me your name is Bo-young. I hope we can be friends," he says, smiling brightly again.

"I hope so too," I say, trying to match his smile but knowing I've fallen short. Next to him, I feel timid.

My attention shifts as I see another person emerge from the vestibule—Hoseok's owner. He's tall and well-built, with a symmetrical face and dyed platinum blonde hair—oh no.

"Hi, I don't think we've-" he stops when his eyes land on me. "Oh my god, this is just too perfect," Taehyung bursts out laughing, doubling over. I gape at the man who, less than a day ago, I swore I'd never see again.

Jungkook looks between us, confused. "Have you two met before?"

"Um, well—" I sputter, struggling to process the turn of events. "Yeah."

Jungkook looks at me, expecting me to elaborate.

"I met him last night when I was out," I say, but he still looks at me, waiting for me to continue.

Taehyung pipes up, taking the attention off me. "She lived in the alley next to the club I frequent," he explains. "I saw her there last night and decided to say hi. I never expected that the newly-collared alley stray I used to leave food out for is the hybrid you've been telling me about, Kookie."

I silently thank him for omitting the part where I followed him—a stranger—to his home late in the evening.

"Oh," Jungkook says with a nod, accepting Taehyung's explanation.

"You left food out for me?" I ask Taehyung, tilting my head in confusion. He looks at me incredulously.

"Yeah. Did you think people just threw away untouched food?" he questions.

I think back to the many cold but full meals I found in the trash by the nightclub—hell, that's a large part of why I lurked there for so long. "Alright, you have a point," I admit. Taehyung smiles with a hint of sarcasm.

"Anyways," Taehyung changes the topic, moving into the kitchen. "Coffee, anyone?"

"I'll have some," Hoseok says, but Taehyung shakes his head.

"How about some tea. You know how you get when you're hopped up on caffeine," Taehyung suggests, to which Hoseok begrudgingly agrees.

I look at Jungkook. He was visibly dishevelled when he quickly came into my room, but now that I see him closer, I notice the full extent of his weariness. His hair is messy, and his tie is loosened almost to the point of being undone.

"You look like you could use some coffee," I point out. Jungkook looks at me, nodding tiredly. I leave to go relay this to Taehyung.

Taehyung moves through the kitchen as if he owns the place. He takes out everything he needs, knowing exactly where to find them. I gather he's been here quite often.

"Jungkook and I will also have some," I tell him. He hums a yes and takes out four mugs. As the coffee's brewing and the tea water's boiling, Taehyung turns to face me, leaning on the countertop and raising a brow.

"You look like you want to say something," he says.

I sigh. "Yeah, I wanted to thank you for not mentioning-"

"Don't worry about it," he cuts me off. "I know how much Jungkook would worry if he knew you were prone to following strangers through dark alleys."

I open my mouth to protest, but he continues.

"I have something much more interesting to talk to you about," he says with a playful smirk. I'm overcome with the distinct feeling of foreboding. "You promised that you'd tell me your secrets if we meet again, and here we are, barely twelve hours later."

"I was hoping you forgot about that," I say regretfully. "I'll tell you, but not now."

"Why don't you come by sometime in the evening? Ring the bell for apartment 21, under the name Kim. I'll let you in," he tells me.

I purse my lips, looking at him in mild annoyance.

"Fine—a promise is a promise," I relent. "But you better have some hot chocolate at your place, or else I'll dash." 

Context for the next few chapters: 

"'Stop by tonight, let's say, two in the morning?' Taehyung says, placing his hand under his chin, acting as if he was thinking long and hard... I agree begrudgingly."