CHAPTER 70

BO-YOUNG

The chilly evening air brushes against my skin the moment we leave the apartment, a shiver running down my spine as Jungkook leads me down the street. The cold makes the pleasant warmth of Jungkook's hand more apparent.

Jungkook walks briskly down the street, a light wintery blush on his cheeks and nose due to the wind. He doesn't pay the cold any mind, keeping his eyes trained ahead.

"I sense there's no point in me asking where we're going again," I say, my breath visible in the December air. Jungkook cracks a smile at this.

"You're correct," he replies.

We don't speak again, the only noise other than the occasional passing car being our slightly hurried footsteps.

Jungkook takes one more turn before slowing down considerably, his pace dropping to a mere mosey down the street.

It's dark – the street lights haven't turned on yet, leaving the streets shrowd in shadows left by the thick clouds above. My heartbeat picks up as Jungkook swings a right turn off the paved road and onto the gravel path of a very familiar playground.

I stare in awe at the dark park. It's the very same one Jungkook found me in. Memories of our first meeting rush back to me in a wave of nostalgia. The slide that I hid under the day we met is covered in a thin layer of frost. The trees, which were full of green leaves, are now almost barren, with only a few reddish-orange leaves left over from autumn.

I hear Jungkook take in a breath, savouring the fresh air before saying: "I'm sure you remember this place."

I chuckle. "Of course I do. Running away from you was the most exercise I've ever gotten."

Jungkook glances at me, his eyebrow raised.

"Are you forgetting the day we went to the movies with Taehyung and Hoseok?"

My muscles ache at the very thought.

"Getting there wouldn't have been so difficult if you all didn't have such long legs," I mutter, my face scrunching at the past injustice.

Jungkook snorts, disregarding my complaint as he strays from my side, walking over to one of the slides and hauling out a cliche picnic basket from its hiding place.

Noticing my slight judgment laced with my genuine surprise, Jungkook says: "I had to keep it safe. Make sure no one stole it while I went and got you."

"Ah, those damn picnic-basket-stealing hooligans – of course," I laugh. "Couldn't you have taken it with when you unceremoniously dragged me out of the apartment?"

"Of course not, that would have ruined the surprise," he says, his tone all-knowing. "And I wasn't worried about basket-stealing 'hooligans', I was worried about the usual people who hang out in playgrounds in the evening. Drunks."

"We're hanging out at the playground in the evening, Jungkook. Are you implying that we're drunks?" I point out.

He takes a moment to think. "We could be, depending on how bad your alcohol tolerance is," he concludes, placing the basket down.

"Oh boy, that basket isn't full of alcohol, is it?" I jokingly question as Jungkook grabs the quilt resting on top of the basket.

"Only the most alcoholic spirits I could buy," he jokes. "Come help me place the blanket, and then you can open it."

After placing the quilt on one of the many grassy areas of the playground, Jungkook and I sit down. He slides the basket over to me, urging me to open it. I eye him suspiciously.

"Knowing you, this will be full of the cheesiest picnic food possible – figuratively speaking," I say, elbowing him lightly in the ribs.

I know I'm right when I see Jungkook's face redden, a shit-eating grin spreading across his face.

"Stop analyzing it and open it," he rushes me in mild embarrassment.

"So your gift unwrapping policies extend to opening picnic baskets, huh," I tease. Jungkook shrugs, giving me a guilty smile as his patience wanes.

"Just open it," he says. I comply.

I lift the top of the basket to find many foods, all either in plastic containers or wrapped in paper. I spot paper plates, plastic forks, a pair of mugs, and two large thermoses all stuffed at the very back of the basket. I breathe in the distinct aroma of baked goods and hot chocolate, savouring the scent.

"This is wonderful, Jungkook," I say as I fish out the plates and utensils. Jungkook takes the mugs and the thermoses, also fishing out a well-concealed bottle of rum.

"I wasn't lying when I said there was alcohol here," he says playfully. "It's for rum cocoa. It'll help keep us warm."

I hum, accepting his answer.

He fills the mugs with steaming hot cocoa, adding a small splash of rum to both before handing one to me. I take it carefully from him, placing it down beside me as I take out the food from the basket, laying them out onto the quilt in front of us.