·CHAPTER 11·

(Concerning continuity: please read the note at the end of the chapter.)

BO-YOUNG

"Jungkook, why are the groceries still out?" I ask, quickly changing the topic once I notice the bag of groceries on the kitchen counter.

"I was wrapping the gift," Jungkook shrugs before taking the collar out of my hands and getting up. "I'll hang this by the door, so you don't forget it when you go out. I'll do the same for mine too."

I nod, watching him disappear into the vestibule before lazily getting up and sauntering to the kitchen to do what he should have done fifteen minutes ago, not before throwing Jungkook's gifts onto my bed through the open door.

Barely a minute into putting away the groceries, I hear Jungkook say: "Don't put away the tomato sauce, minced meat, spaghetti, and olives."

"Are you making spaghetti bolognese?" I ask as I set aside the ingredients listed.

"No, we're eating the ingredients separately like the sad, sad people we are," he says sarcastically as he emerges from the vestibule. "Yes, I'm making spaghetti bolognese."

"Hey, no need to get snippy," I chuckle as I put away the last item in the bag—a litre of milk.

"Now, make way. I'll start on the food. I'd ask you to join me, but it looks like you've still got your work cut out for you in your room," he says, nodding his head towards the wide-open door through which he can see the pile of clothes left on the bed.

I nod and make my way into the room I'm staying in.

Folding the rest of the clothes takes less than five minutes. I sit on the cleared bed before falling back onto the soft cushions, staring up at the ceiling again.

I close my eyes and listen to the sounds of the boiling water and Jungkook shuffling outside, preparing food. I think I can even faintly hear the humming of the air conditioning and the constant buzzing of the lights. It's peaceful, safe, and so foreign to me.

My old home was absolutely silent, save the rare weekend when my past owner would play music and have her friends over for tea. Then there would be polite chatter and occasional laughs, accompanied by the quiet music of Billie Holiday or Charlie Parker in the background. Still, most days were filled with a different kind of peace—a very boring and old peace that comes with living in the countryside.

I reach my hand to where the pocket in which I kept my pen was before I ran away, only to drop my hand when I realize that it's not there. I lost it while running away from those drunkards in the alley. It's the last thing I have from my old home, and I lost it. I rub my eyes in frustration, resisting the urge to punch my pillow.

"It's not the end of the world," I remind myself, but my words don't help ease the growing pit in my stomach. Maybe I could go look for it, and if I'm lucky, no one will have picked it up.

I pull myself up and open my door. The smell of tomato sauce hits me the moment I peek my head out. In the kitchen, I see Jungkook.

"How long until food is done?" I ask. He startles slightly before turning around.

"You scared me," he breathes, holding his hand over his heart. "It'll take around three more minutes. Why?"

"I was thinking of taking a walk after we're done eating," I tell him, knowing that I'm lying by omission.

"Alright, but isn't it a bit late for that?"

He's right to think that, seeing as the sun began its descent hours ago, and within an hour, the sky will be speckled with stars.

I shrug. "Maybe, but nightfall has never stopped me before."

"Can't argue with that," Jungkook agrees. "Do you want me to go with you?"

I shake my head.

"Alright," he says. For a moment, it's silent before he quietly asks: "And you promise you won't take off?"

"I promise," I reassure him. "I'll wear my new collar and everything."

He smiles, visibly relaxing. "Then, by all means, just be back before midnight, or I'll start to worry."

As he finishes his sentence, we're both caught off guard by the loud ringing from his phone.

"And that's the alarm. Take a seat while I plate the food," Jungkook announces.

I take a seat at the dining table, leaning my head against my palm as I watch Jungkook walk over with two plates of steaming hot spaghetti bolognese in his hands. He places the noticeably smaller portion in front of me before sitting down too. As he said, it'd be best for me to slowly give my body time to acclimate itself with regular meals.

"Bon appétit," he wishes before digging in.

As I've come to find, food not found in trash cans is vastly superior—hell, everything Jungkook has fed me has greatly outshined even the warm food I had at my old home, which I'm sure wasn't found in a trash can. I hum, savouring the flavour.

"It's good?" Jungkook asks as he eyes me.

I nod, swallowing my mouthful before replying: "It's amazing."

"Ah yes. Boy, do I love being complimented," he jokes. I roll my eyes at his antics.

Suddenly, a look of realization flashes on his face. "Oh, I forgot to ask this earlier: would it be alright if my friend and his hybrid come over tomorrow?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Yeah, by all means. What kind of hybrid, though?"

"Bear," Jungkook replies. "He's really nice, though."

I stare at him. "A bear? Bears are known for eating small animals like—I don't know—bunnies," I say, deadpan.

"Hey, c'mon, you're making assumptions now and that's not fair," Jungkook chides.

"Oh, what's that bear eating? It's alright, it's just Bo-young!" I remark under my breath. "Bring them over, just make sure I don't die."

Jungkook and I chat until we're both done before laying our dishes in the sink. I can sense Jungkook's anxiety as I go to pull on my new pair of shoes.

"You'll be safe, yeah?" he asks as I grab a jacket from the closet.

"Safer than ever," I say, pulling my arms through the sleeves and donning my new canary yellow beanie over my ears.

"And you know how to throw a punch?"

I chuckle. "Yeah, though I tend to opt for kicking."

Jungkook nods, handing me a spare key to the apartment.

I tuck it in my pocket and clip on my collar, leaving it slightly loose around my neck so it won't choke me. I open the door and wave goodbye to Jungkook, who's looking at me like a crestfallen maiden seeing their beloved leave for war. Then, the door closes, and I'm off.

(Concerning the re-write: In the original story, Bo-young sneaks out to go find the pen. This has been changed. Any future references to this will be removed once the chapters are re-written, but until I've done so, please disregard any mentions of sneaking out.)

(There will be temporary plot holes. Please be patient.)