CHAPTER 76

(Another messy bonus chapter~)

BO-YOUNG

It's warm, much warmer than I would have expected for our first night in the cold house. I feel Jungkook's chest slowly rise and fall under me; I can hear a low growl-like snore coming from within him. I drowsily open my eyes, barely conscious.

The house feels surreal this winter morning, the familiar fairy-tale feeling returning to me. When we last visited, warm autumn light bathed the house in warm tones, an air of nostalgia floating in the air like dust. Now, it's cold, the snow from outside reflecting the wintery sunlight into the house.

I shuffle in mild discomfort, trying not to disturb Jungkook as I try to escape the warmth. The measures Jungkook and I took to escape the cold air last night feel like overkill now that the room is properly-heated, in fact, the excessive heat feels suffocating. I begin to move, pushing myself off Jungkook's chest and out from under the blanket. I try to sit up, but a pair of arms wrap around me and pull me back down.

"Bo-youngie, don't go. You're so warm," Jungkook protests. I freeze, caught off guard by his morning-voice. I turn around in his arms, only to find myself facing his chest.

"I'm over-heating, and I'm hungry," I mutter, my morning voice far less impressive than Jungkook's.

I hear Jungkook groan.

"Goodbye, space-heater," Jungkook mumbles almost incoherently before pressing a sleepy kiss on my forehead and letting go of me. By the time I've gotten up from the couch, he's already fast asleep again.

I stumble into the kitchen, yawning loudly. I begin scavenging through the cupboards, looking through all that I bought yesterday but finding nothing appealing. All that I bought that didn't go into the soup was the cocoa powder, so most of the cupboards are more-or-less empty. Unless Jungkook and I want to eat leftover soup for breakfast, someone will need to go to the store.

I sigh, lamenting internally about how unfair it is that I can't spend this morning inside.

"Jungkook," I quietly call out from the kitchen. When I get no response, I decide to peek into the living room.

There he is, sprawled out on the couch like a seastar and snoring like a bear.

I walk up to him, crouching down next to the couch before poking him on his arm.

"Kookie," I say gently, trying to wake him up in the kindest way possible. He doesn't move.

"I'm going out to stock up on food," I whisper to him. He stirs a bit, his eyes fluttering open.

"I'm coming too," he says.

"Yeah, sure you are, buddy. I have no doubt that by the time I'm out of the shower and dressed up, you'll have gotten out from under that quilt of yours," I say as if I were addressing a child, sarcasm lacing each word.

Jungkook, in protest, tries to move to push himself up but instead finds himself falling back onto the couch. I cross my arms in doubt before covering his half-asleep body with the quilt again.

"I'll be back in a jiffy," I say, patting him on the back before leaving to go take a shower.

By the time I return back downstairs, my hair still wet from the luke-warm shower, I notice that Jungkook is nowhere to be found. From the downstairs bathroom, I hear movement. Out emerges Jungkook, dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and an incorrectly buttoned shirt, his hair still messy from sleeping and his eyes half-lidded. He leans against the doorframe to steady himself as he fights to stay awake.

The scene is quite amusing to look at.

"You look nice," Jungkook says as he sees me approach him.

"And you look like a hot mess," I reply.

Jungkook smiles. "Well, at least I'm still hot."

"I-" I begin, but I'm cut off by my own exasperated sigh. "That's not what I meant, but there's no use arguing with you. Your hair's a mess, and your shirt is buttoned wrong."

Jungkook looks down at himself.

"Huh," he says quietly before trying to re-do his buttons.

"No- Jungkook, that's not-" I try to stop him, but in his sleepy stupor, he manages to worsen the problem. "I feel like I'm babysitting."

I walk up to him, close enough to see the full extent of his tiredness. I reach out to him and fix the few buttons he managed to miss.

"It's really cute how hard you're trying not to touch me," he teases. I purse my lips and smack him lightly, to which he draws back, placing his hand onto where I lightly hit him.

"Oh no! Your tiny hand has done irreparable damage. When did you become this brutishly strong, Bo-young?" he jokes, a wide grin spreading across his face. I raise my hand to lightly smack him again, but he catches me by the wrist.

"Spare me, Bo-young," he begins, his tone dramatic. "I don't think I could survive another hit from you. I'll crumble into dust."

"Shut up and fix your hair," I say, pulling my hand from his, turning to hide how red my face has become.

I make my way to the front door and begin to dress for the weather, Jungkook following shortly behind. I can still hear his snickering.

When I stand up from trying my shoelaces, I find Jungkook behind me, his hair still a mess.

"Jungkook, your hair is still a disaster," I point out.

"Hm, is it?" he says questioningly.

Before I can answer, he reaches to me and messes up my hair. I stand there, mouth agape.

"There, now we match," he says as he hides his hair with a beanie. After doing so, he throws another beanie to me. "Here, wear this. You can't be going outside with such messy hair."

I hold the beanie in my hands, mouth still agape as I struggle to process what just happened. Jungkook takes this moment to walk past me and through the front door. I quickly try to flatten my hair before pulling on the beanie, running out of the door to catch up with Jungkook.

"You're a bit of a nuisance today, you know that right?" I say to him once I catch up.

"Yeah, but you still like me," he says confidently, flashing a blinding grin at me. He's not wrong.

Instead of replying, I coyly take ahold of his hand. He looks over towards me, a fond smile on his face, but I turn away before he can see the light dusting of pink on my cheeks.

"I'll take that as confirmation," he says, lacing our fingers together. 

(AN: this chapter is a bit of a mess again. I'm procrastinating writing the finale because I don't know what exactly to do with it. I've had the chapter as a work in progress for over a week now...) 

( ; - ; )