·CHAPTER 7·

BO-YOUNG

I wake up to the bright sun beaming through the slits in the blinds and directly into my eyes. I shield myself from the accursed light and open my eyes to find myself back in my room. Jungkook must have moved me after I passed out on the couch. I sit up, stretching my arms up briefly before letting them fall to my sides. This is the first time in a while that I've felt refreshed.

I stand, meaning to leave the room, but I stop. I haven't come to a conclusion about Jungkook's proposition. In fact, I haven't found much time at all to think about it yet. Jungkook seemed so hopeful—I'd hate to leave him hanging.

I run my eyes over the bland room, imagining it full of plants, throw pillows, and most importantly, sun-blocking curtains. I envision small knick-knacks on top of the dresser, jars full of miscellaneous things lining the thin windowsill, and my own pair of shoes by the front door.

Still, it doesn't feel right. I'd feel guilty for taking this possible home from a more deserving hybrid, one who went through the proper systems to be adopted and has been waiting for a home.

I close my eyes, considering it all again. It's the opportunity of a lifetime; I wouldn't be a hero for turning down his offer—I'd be a bloody idiot.

I stand up and comb through my hair with my fingers, sorting out the few tangles that had formed in my sleep.

Afterwards, I leave the room and step into the common area. There, I spot Jungkook sitting on the couch, a bowl of cereal in his hand. Hearing me enter, he looks in my direction and greets me.

"Good day, Bo-young. You're finally up!" he cheers. "You know, it's not healthy to wake up at 2 PM."

"2 PM?" I verify, glancing at the oven clock in horror. I thought it was still morning. We went to sleep at a fairly reasonable time, so I guess I really must have been exhausted to have slept so long. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"I didn't have the heart," he confides. "You looked so peaceful, and you seemed like you needed the sleep."

"I can't argue with that."

Jungkook hums in agreement. "I was generous enough not to include the full extent of your dark circles in my portrait," he teases.

"Hey!" I protest, but I can't help but laugh at the joking comment.

"Oh, sorry. You looked wonderfully well-rested—no dark circles at all. You had clearly slept for hours on end the night before," he says sarcastically before turning back towards the telly, eating another spoonful of cereal.

"Lying isn't much better," I chuckle.

I make my way past him and into the bathroom, where I wash my face. When I lift my head, I see my face in the mirror. Jungkook's portrait was amazingly accurate, though as he said, he was generous enough to leave out the full extent of my dishevelment. Despite my long rest, the dark circles are still ever-present.

I make my way out of the bathroom to find that Jungkook is no longer on the couch, though the television is still on.

"Jungkook?" I call out.

I hear shuffling from his room. "I'll be out in a second! There's cereal on the counter, just add milk."

As he said, there's a bowl full of strangely-shaped cereal on the kitchen counter, a milk carton placed right next to it. I pour in the milk and take a seat at the kitchen island, on the side Jungkook was sitting on last night. I cautiously bite down on one of the small stadium-shaped bits, tasting wheat and chocolate. I wonder how Jungkook manages to stay so fit when all I've seen him eat so far is chocolate.

The only kind of cereal I was given at my old home was the horrible cardboard that is All-Bran. I'm sure it was infinitely healthier, but that doesn't mean it wasn't difficult to eat every morning.

"Those are Weetabix Minis," Jungkook informs me as he emerges from his room, now wearing a pair of blue jeans and a plain white shirt. "They're my second favourite from my cereal rotation."

I almost choke on my mouthful. "Cereal rotation?"

Jungkook looks at me as if he's surprised he has to explain. "Yeah, cereal rotation. Every time I finish a box, I buy the next brand on the list. The next in line is Cocoa Puffs."

He takes his cereal way too seriously.

"You're insane," I snort. "In a good way, though. It's endearing."

"I sure hope so," he laughs, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly before sitting across from me.

"I don't want to rush you, but have you thought of an answer?" he asks suddenly.

I take a breath in to answer, but I deflate before I can say a single word. A tense silence follows, heavy from the unanswered question. Jungkook looks at me hopefully, anticipating my answer.

"If you need more time-" he begins, but I interrupt.

"No, no. It's alright. I don't want to leave you hanging," I explain.

I run over the facts one last time before coming to a conclusion.

"I've thought about it, and my answer is-"