CHAPTER 28

BO-YOUNG

"And we're done. You're no longer a stray, Bo-young," Jae-hyung grins after sorting all of the adoption work and confirming my paper. Nothing could have prepared me for the nervousness I felt when Jae-hyung was confirming my new, and frankly forged identification papers.

Jungkook is grinning widely. A smile spreads across my face when I see his bunny smile.

"This is cause for celebration!" Jungkook cheers.

"Isn't the trip enough of a celebration?" I ask him, grimacing a bit when the pokes my nose. I glare at him playfully.

"Nope," he says. "Thank you, Jae-hyung," he thanks the worker as we walk through the automatic doors.

It's already getting quite dark outside. It's not as windy as it was the night before, nor is it as chilly. Jungkook takes me by the hand, leading me in the opposite direction from his house.

"It's going to close in an hour or two, but that's well enough time for you to choose," he tells me vaguely.

"Choose what?" I ask him, jogging to match my pace with his. Curse him and his long legs.

"Didn't I tell you earlier? We've got to get you a phone before we leave," he replies, slowing his pace a bit after seeing my struggle to keep up.

"Ah, yes. You did mention it," I mutter, barely having to dig through my memory to find when he said that. I should have been paying more attention.

We approach the large mall. Some of the lights are already out, but they are mostly food vendors. We pass by the guards out front. This time it's not as scary, seeing as I have a collar, and I am legally not a stray. I can't help the shudder from running down my spine, though, as the men glare at me.

The mall is bright, almost too much so. Jungkook brings me to a store with multiple phones on display, smiling at the clerk as he leads me through the doors.

"Feel free to peruse," Jungkook tells me, letting go of my hand. I instantly gravitate to the older cheaper phones, but before I can near them, Jungkook speaks.

"There's no price limit, you know that right?" he tells me. "Choose whatever you want."

I nod to him, turning back towards the cheaper phones and stubbornly approaching them. Jungkook follows behind me, peeking over my shoulder as I hover over the phones. I'm looking for something very specific. Although I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, I'll know it when I see it.

Jungkook begins getting a bit impatient as I continue slowly moving down the isles of phone models. Every five minutes or so, I can hear a loud sigh coming from behind me.

I see an older looking phone in front of me. It's nothing special, but I recognize the model immediately. I pick it up, inspecting it closely.

"Are you really going to get an android?" Jungkook says judgingly.
"It's the one I know how to use," I try to justify.

"Oh lord," Jungkook rubs his temples. "Bo-young, nooo. Not a Huawei..." he whines, snatching the phone from my hands. I swiftly snatch it back.

"Yes," I say stubbornly. "I'm considering it."

"How would you even know how to use it? As far as I'm concerned, you didn't have a phone," he asks, holding the phone as if it were beneath him.

"Some drunk lady dropped it near the alley I was hiding in, so I took it. It had an almost full battery, surprisingly enough. I returned it when I accidentally pressed the power button while playing a heated game of solitaire," I tell him. Jungkook snorts.

"A heated game of solitaire?" he asks mockingly.

"Yes. You don't know the pain of an unlucky solitaire game. All of the aces were at the bottom," I explain as I glare at the phonescreen.

"Remind me to never allow you to play solitaire," Jungkook says quietly, a smile still on his face. "You know you can play solitaire on an Apple phone too, right? iPhones have better security, cameras, and-"

"Leave the sales pitch for the salesmen," I say as I lightly smack his arm. A moment of silence passes with Jungkook just staring at me judgingly. "Okay, show me these magical iPhones," I give in, unable to take his stare for even a second longer.

Jungkook grins triumphantly, quickly setting the Huawei phone down before dragging me away.

I look at the phones, then at the prices. I gawk in disbelief at the numbers. "That's like, twice the price of the Huawei," I say.

"I'll make you a deal," Jungkook begins, but I cut him off with a genuine laugh.

"You're trying to convince me to take the more expensive phone? You're working against yourself," I chuckle. Jungkook laughs too, shaking his head.

"I want you to have a phone that'll actually be worth something," he tells me.

"Wow, you're clearly not fond of Huawei phones," I say quietly.

"Look, the deal is that you allow me to buy you that iPhone, and I promise to-" he thinks.

"I'll take it if you paint me a phone cover," I bargain, knowing that I may be pushing the limit. Jungkook looks at me, his eyes practically sparkling.

"Yes, sure," he agrees.

We walk out of the store after paying for the phone. I hold the box in one of my hands, my new phone in the other. The guy at the store helped set it up, so it's up and running already.

"Kook, punch in your number," I hand him the phone.

"I'd be honored to," he takes a moment to type in his number and set the name before handing it back. "Now, what do you say?"

"I'm not a child, Jungkook," I chuckle. "Thank you."

Even under the dim light of the streetlamps, I can see Jungkook's content smile.

We walk home silently, every now and then chatting for a few minutes before falling back into the comfortable quietness. When we get home, we sit down and watch an episode of Brooklyn 99 before heading to bed.

1008 words

(AN: This chapter is very rushed. I'm super sick right now. I was planning on just skipping a day, but I promised daily updates. Sorry about the haphazardous writing.)